Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
ebondi
Influencer
Liked: never

too many sobr archiving jobs spawn ec2 instances that do nothing

Post by ebondi »

Hi, I noticed the following. There is 1 SOBR archiving job running actively moving 1 big backup from AWS S3 to Glacier and it takes some days to complete.

In the meantime Veeam creates new SOBR archiving jobs every 4 hours and try to archive the same resource so every new further jobs waits with logged message "Locking backup chains on Capacity Tier..."

The problem is that every new job spawn an ec2 instance on AWS and keeps them running also if those are not actively moving data due to they are locked by first job.

So in the end I will have 20 or 30 or also 40 ec2 instances running at the same time for days with no real advantage and only money to spend to keep them powered on to do nothing in the end.

I pay to AWS for running ec2 instances so you understand the real wast of money related to all those unuseful amount of instances that are powered but do nothing.

As an example in my mind, why don't you allow Veeam software to end/complete waiting/locked jobs so they shutdown and terminate AWS EC2 instances?

Solution is already here because every 4 hours veeam creates a new job so at next run the job will check again if there is something "available" (and not locked buy other jobs) to archive.

Thanks
Regards
Enrico
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: too many sobr archiving jobs spawn ec2 instances that do nothing

Post by haslund »

This does not sound to be working as expected. Could you please create a support case? Feel free to share the case # with us here afterwards.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
ebondi
Influencer
Liked: never

Re: too many sobr archiving jobs spawn ec2 instances that do nothing

Post by ebondi »

I created Veeam Case #07052956

#Edit by Mod: Replaced contract number with case number