Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
MoranJ2000
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Joseph Moran

More info on warning -- Cannot change WebPart ExportMode to ‘All’

Post by MoranJ2000 »

Hi.

Bear with me for a minute please, because I know--at least superficially-- what is causing this warning and how to either eliminate or suppress it (KB4091). That's not my question.

What I am trying to understand is why VBM is suddenly warning this for one--and only one-- of my SharePoint sites. Full disclosure, I'm pretty new to SharePoint, but in an attempt to answer this question, I looked at the home page of the site triggering the warning but I don't see anything other than what appear to be standard/default Web Parts. Similarly, if I use " ?maintenancemode=true" to look at the site's Web Part maintenance page, I see the same four Web Parts (News, SiteActivity, List, and QuickLinks) that I see on my numerous other sites that are not triggering this warning.

Simply eliminating the warning by allowing custom scripts per KB4091 doesn't seem like the right approach due to the security implications, but on the other hand, before I choose to suppress the warning I want to understand specifically what is triggering it so I understand the ramifications of that thing not being backed up.

So I guess my question is, is there any way to find out from VBM exactly what it is choking on, so I can make an educated decision on what to do about it?

I appreciate any insight. Thanks.

Joe
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 711 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: More info on warning -- Cannot change WebPart ExportMode to ‘All’

Post by Polina »

Hi Joe,

I'm not a SharePoint expert either, but here's some information from Microsoft on the custom scripting on sites: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/share ... tom-script.
If custom scripting is restricted for a site, Veeam is unable to access and back up any customizations on such a site, which basically means that when you restore it the result will be very different from the initial/source state.

Admin can allow or deny custom scripting per individual site, and this setting can be changed via PowerShell.

Hope it helps.

Thanks!
MoranJ2000
Influencer

Post by MoranJ2000 »

Thanks for the response, Polina.

Can you clarify what you mean by "the (restore) result will be very different"? Based on my further investigation it seems that someone issuing a request to access the SharePoint site is what causes the "cannot change we part export mode..." error. I assume this means that simply the pendingreq.aspx component , e.g. Web part, will not get backed up, but presumably the actual data on the site-- document libraries, lists, etc. will still be backed up. I wish the product UX and documentation were clearer on this important point.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina » 1 person likes this post

Hi Joseph,

If the export mode is disabled, we won't be able to preserve page layout and design. Files will be backed up, but if you restore such a site its layout and customization will not be preserved.
MoranJ2000
Influencer

Post by MoranJ2000 » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for the clarification. That's what I figured, but it helps to have it confirmed from an authoritative source.

May I suggest that Veeam's KB be updated to explicitly state that only the site layout and customization is lost in this scenario.

That's not necessarily obvious, especially to those of us who aren't Sharepoint gurus.

Thank you again.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Sure, we'll take it into account with the next update. Thank you for the feedback!