Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
stormlight
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JG

Restore from Azure. Appliance or full version of

Post by stormlight »

Hello, I have on on prem Veeam server and repo.

I am backing up to Scale out repo that is an on prem performance tier that gets coped to an azure blob capacity tier.

If I were to lose my onprem infrastructure, how could I restore items that are sitting in azure in the capacity tier?

Can i use an appliance to restore or do i need a full windows vm with Veeam installed?

If i have to use a full vm, how do I import the azure blob capacity tier into the veeam app?

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Restore from Azure. Appliance or full version of

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello JG

You need a Veeam Backup & Replication server. Just connect the original Azure Blob storage as a new repository and import the backups:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

A second option is to import your latest configuration backup to a new backup server. It will restore the entire configuration of the failed backup server to a new backup server.
This will allow you to continue your backup jobs and restore data from the original repositories without doing the entire configuration on a new backup server.
User guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
Blog: https://www.veeam.com/blog/restoring-in ... veeam.html

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
stormlight
Enthusiast
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: JG

Post by stormlight »

Thanks, do you know if there are any plans to be able to do this with the veeam appliance in azure so we can save on the need to pay Azure for another VM ?

And lastly for restores back to on prem or into Azure what's the most important metric to ensure fast restores in regard to this azure veeam vms specs? CPU, Ram, or disk? (excluding network)

Thanks!
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi JG
Thanks, do you know if there are any plans to be able to do this with the veeam appliance in azure so we can save on the need to pay Azure for another VM ?
Starting with our Veeam Data Platform 23H2 Update, all future features coming to our Cloud appliances will require a Veeam Backup & Replication server. Therefore I don't see any possibility that we will provide this scenario (Use our Azure cloud backup appliance to restore an on-premise VM) in a future release. A Veeam Backup & Replication server will be required.
And lastly for restores back to on prem or into Azure what's the most important metric to ensure fast restores in regard to this azure veeam vms specs? CPU, Ram, or disk? (excluding network)
You can follow our general requirements for Veeam Backup & Replication. RAM/Memory requirements for all components are documented in our user guide: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... kup-server

Disk type won't have a big effect on entire VM restores from Azure Storage to ESXi or as an Azure VM. But Instant Recovery will be affected, if you want to store the IR cache on an Azure Vm Disk (I don't recommend it, should be on a on-prem datastore or server).
For restore to your on-prem vSphere environment we recommend to deploy a proxy server (virtual appliance proxy/hot-add) on the target ESXi host.
And a last recommendation. Run a restore test of one of your VMs. That helps you to exercise the restore process and take notes about how long it takes to restore a machine from Azure.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software