Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
nathanrsafti
Influencer
Liked: 10 times
Full Name: Nathan

[12.1] Cannot manually offload backups to capacity via Backup Properties

Post by nathanrsafti »

It looks like the feature mentioned here https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120 was removed as of 12.1. All I see now is Copy Path and a 'Malware' dropdown. Was this feature moved to a different place in the interface?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: [12.1] Cannot manually offload backups to capacity via Backup Properties

Post by Mildur »

Hi Nathan

Are you trying to move imported backups? And does the backup chain have multiple fulls or just one?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
nathanrsafti
Influencer

Post by nathanrsafti »

Hi Fabian,

None of the backups were imported. They were all backed up to the SOBR and uploaded to our capacity tier, Wasabi. Due to unfortunate circumstances a second backup chain had to be created, so there are currently two full backups for each job. Because our S3 storage is immutable for 30 days we can't delete the old backup chain for another couple of weeks, so I was hoping to offload it from the Performance tier to S3/capacity completely, as we are out of space on the performance tier due to duplicate backup files.

Also, I can confirm that the feature isn't available on our other v12.1 server where we didn't have to create a second backup chain. Each backup there only has a single full and there is no option to move to capacity tier in the backup properties window.
nathanrsafti
Influencer

Post by nathanrsafti »

I may have found a way to offload it manually by moving the backups to a dummy job and forcing the SOBR to view it as orphaned per this:

object-storage-as-a-backup-target-f52/h ... 90303.html

After moving the backup to a different job I can remove it from Performance tier.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Nathan

Thanks.
I'm glad you found a solution. I just wanted to reference to that topic. That's why I have asked how many full backups your backup chain has.
We can only move inactive chains. Backup chains with a single full backup are never recognized as inactive.
But the workaround should work.

Best,
Fabian
nathanrsafti
Influencer

Post by nathanrsafti »

There is an issue with this workaround however; the VM files are copied and then deleted in the "move", so this does not work for very large VMs when you are low on storage space. I don't know why Veeam does this instead of a simple move which would not require additional space.
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

I don't know why Veeam does this instead of a simple move which would not require additional space.
Are you talking about our "Moving Backups" option?

In v12.0, we copied the backup files, made sure everything was copied and then removed the backup files from the source.
In v12.1, we will move the backup file if the target location is on the same volume.

Best,
Fabian