Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
Nas
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nas

Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager limitation

Post by Nas »

Hi

Is there a limitation on the number of Veeam Backup Servers that we can add to Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager?
I have a single Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager with 50 Backup Servers (from 3 different region) added to it.

My daily Data Collection Job Sessions is taking more than 24 hours to complete, so I'm wondering if I have hit the limit and whether I should separate these Backup Servers to multiple instances of Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager.

Thanks.

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ns&ver=120
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Veeam Backup Enterprise Manager limitation

Post by Mildur »

Hello Nas

50 backup server shouldn't be an issue. We have some customers with several 100 backup server managed by a single Enterprise Manager.
May I ask, how many Workloads (VMs, Agents) are managed by those backup servers?

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Nas
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nas

Post by Nas »

Hi Fabian,

Total workloads is 1950.

VM 1880
Agent 60
File shares 10

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Nas

Thanks.
I assume, the cause of the long data collection must be with the hardware resources available to the enterprise manager server or the database server.
Make sure to size your enterprise manager server according to our recommendation (8 cores, 16GB RAM + OS requirements). You need more cores/memory if you run other workload on the same server (backup server, other applications, database engine): https://bp.veeam.com/vbr/2_Design_Struc ... er-compute

Additionally I recommend to open a support case. Logs will show us why the data collection takes 24 hours and where we can optimize the processing time.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
srdegeus
Enthusiast
Liked: 5 times

Post by srdegeus » 1 person likes this post

In my experience this is because Enterprise Manager collects the data from a single VBR at a time, it is all serialized.

The collection of the VBR in the same data center with 300+ protected workloads completes in 8 seconds.
The collection of a VBR 168ms away with 2 protected workloads takes over 2 1/2 minutes.

This has nothing to do with available resources but all with the design of the Enterprise Manager.