Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
hnhn99
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Hakan Hedman

can't run command because agent is closed or has error

Post by hnhn99 »

Hi! I have a strange issue that I hope someone could help me with. After reboot of veeam backup server everything runs normally but only one time. Next time all vm's are failed with "can't run command because agent is closed or has error". It is storage snapshot backups to a Netapp ONTAP system with vault as second destination.
Any ideas?
hnhn99
Influencer
Full Name: Hakan Hedman

Re: can't run command because agent is closed or has error

Post by hnhn99 » 1 person likes this post

Found this. VID516619 Snapshot-only job failed to complete with "Can't run command because agent is closed or has error"
The issue is caused by backup proxy selection logic change for snapshot-only jobs in version 12
sysinfma
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Chris

Post by sysinfma »

same here.
bobby_bwfc
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Rob Green

Post by bobby_bwfc »

Did anybody manage to work out the issue here?

We're also experiencing the same issue. Support ticket #06244437 logged.
Error: [AP] (958614d1) Can't run command because agent is closed or has error

The part in round brackets changes but i don't know what it refers to.

We're running a Windows v12 VBR in the UK. We're experiencing this issue backing up one Hyper-V VM (other VMs on the same host are successful every time) to a local hardened linux repository on the same network with no firewalls in between, based elsewhere in Europe. Windows firewall has been disabled on the Hyper-V host for testing, and the native Ubuntu firewall on the repository is also disabled.

The job often fails having written data from each of the source disks. But it can also complete the capture of each of the source disks and then fail. The latter appears to occur when the job runs as scheduled, and the former on manual retries. Probably coincidence but i'm trying to give as much detail as possible as per my experiences.

The issue started on 13/8 and a daily backup hasn't completed since.

Support have requested that I disable firewalls for testing purposes and check advanced firewalls, inputting exclusions where necessary. I've also been asked to remove redundant Veeam installations (we've recently upgraded to v12 but older versions of veeam components appeared to still exist on the HV server following this), reboot, reinstall necessary veeam components, retry. This will occur when an outage has been agreed with the business. I will update this thread with my findings and a remote session with Veeam support has been pencilled in for next week in the event that we are still experiencing the same issues following the remedial efforts listed above.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Rob

Unfortunately we didn't got a case number in the previous comments in this topic.
I suggest to keep working with our customer support team on this issue.

As a workaround you could use Veeam Agent to protect this VM until the issue with the VM backup job is resolved.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
andreas.karl@sws.de
Service Provider
Full Name: Andreas Karl

Post by andreas.karl@sws.de »

Hi together,
i have the same issuse by an BackupCopy-Job from a Linux Hardened Repo to a SOBR (two extends, also Linux Hardened).

In the logfiles from the tasks i get the same error:
[AP] (5f4b7b48) Can't run command because the state is Working (Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentBusyException)

Perhaps it´s the same isuse?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Andreas

Can you please share your case number with me?
If I need to ask support management if we have a similar issue around multiple cases, I need to provide them with case numbers.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
marcopld
Lurker
Full Name: MarcoPld

Post by marcopld »

Hello everyone,
I have the same issue. I'm currently following the case ID 06354892 with support, but it seems that there is no solution.
It has been almost a week, and it stopped working seemingly without any changes.
The job keeps running for a few hours and then it gets stuck, the error I find in the logs is:

Info [AP] Disposing client from thread 24
Info Disposing BaseAgentProtocol [0x3c7af5a]
Info Disposing CSocketAgentService [0x1c82e96], sessionId [f410eec3]
Info SocketAgentService] Closing connection to agent 'here my-ip-proxy', id f410eec3
Error Failed to stop socket agent service, id f410eec3
Error Socket has been forcibly closed. Failed to recover connection. (Veeam.Backup.Common.ConnectionException)
Error at Veeam.Backup.Common.Reconnect.CInterlockedReconnectEngine.CheckFailed()
Error at Veeam.Backup.Common.Reconnect.CPacketSender.SendPacketWithReconnect(CPacket packet)
Error at Veeam.Backup.Common.Reconnect.CPacketSender.SendStop()
Error at Veeam.Backup.Common.Reconnect.CProtocolMethods.SendStopOnce()
Error at Veeam.Backup.Common.Reconnect.CReconnectableSocket.Close(Int32 timeoutSec)
Error at Veeam.Backup.Crypto.CTlsSocket.Close(Int32 timeout)
Error at Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.CSocketAgentService.SafeCloseSocket()
Error [AP] (e3b43cc4) Can't run command because agent is closed or has error (Veeam.Backup.AgentProvider.AgentClosedException)

Has anyone managed to resolve it in any way?

thank you very much
rgmueller
Enthusiast
Liked: 4 times

Post by rgmueller »

We are running v12 and we have occasional backup jobs of VMware VMs where individual VMs experience this same error. Upon retry they complete successfully. So far, none have failed to complete successfully after a retry. Case #06403758
colohost
Service Provider
Full Name: Colo Host

Post by colohost »

I'm having this issue with a move job between two StoreOnce appliances.
BobseyH
Lurker
Full Name: Bob Holroyde

Post by BobseyH »

Hi, was there a resolution for this issue? I have a VBR 12 customer with a Backup Copy Job (SQL Transaction Logs) between Exagrid SOBR's with this issue.
Restarting the Backup Copy Job seems to temporarily resolve the issue.
It sounds like it may be Dedupe Application related. :shock:
Ivan239
Veeam Software
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Ivan

Post by Ivan239 »

This is a generic agent error, meaning that VBR is trying to send a command to an agent that is in an invalid state. This is usually due to some previous command execution error by the agent. Without reseaching the logs, it is impossible to say about the cause of this error. Therefore, it is better to contact technical support. Why the agent restart does not work after this error occurs is also difficult to say without logs. You can try to update to the latest version of VBR, perhaps it has already been fixed there, if not, again the only option is to contact support so that R&D can reasech the logs and find the reason for this behavior.