Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
Kazuha
Enthusiast
Liked: never
Full Name: Kaedehara Kazuha

Tape Driver lost power accidentally while backup and tape EOD seems corrupted - Can I rollback or fix my tape?

Post by Kazuha »

Today, while I was backing up tapes, the tape drive suddenly rebooted (as if the power was unplugged and plugged back in), and the writing job that was in progress also stopped, saying “Tape fatal error. The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error”
I tried to manually eject the tape and do the backup again, Veeam then stuck at “Current Tape is TAPENAME”. At this time, the tape drive kept spinning, then unloading, and then loading again, it kept looping like this.
If I tried to catalog the tape, Veeam would report “Error: Data error(CRC)”, and then the tape drive started flashing the clean+tape led(HP).
But if I restore Veeam to the state before I ran this backup, and verify the tape, the tape will be verified successfully, which means the data is not corrupted.
The tape EOD validity in HPE L&TT Tool is “Backup in Progress”, and Data on tape is “Not available (EOD invalid)”.
It seems the tape EOD is corrupted but the data is not corrupted. How can I fix this? Can I repair the tape EOD(such as ignoring the bad EOD and writing a new EOD)?

Thank you!
Case #07057791
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: Tape Driver lost power accidentally while backup and tape EOD seems corrupted - Can I rollback or fix my tape?

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Kazuha,

Interesting case but low level debug log analysis is required to understand what could be done with such tape. Please continue working with our support engineers! Thank you!
Kazuha
Enthusiast

Re: Tape Driver lost power accidentally while backup and tape EOD seems corrupted - Can I rollback or fix my tape?

Post by Kazuha »

Hi Dima, I uploaded my tape cataloging(failed) and verification(success) log.

By the way, since my tape can be successfully verified in the "previous state", can I use the "copy tape" function to copy the corrupted tape to a new,clean tape and create a valid EOD on the new tape? Will "copy tape" function check the original tape EOD?

Thank you!
Kazuha
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Kazuha,

No guarantees because it fully depends on how the tape is corrupted but I believe its worth trying to use copy tape functionality.

Additionally you can try to perform restore 'entire tape' to disk. If tape is partially damaged you might get lucky to restore some content that remains operational.

Thank you!
Kazuha
Enthusiast

Post by Kazuha »

Hi Dima!

Copy tape functionality seems worth trying. But I have only one tape drive, can I first copy tape to a file on the disk, then write the file to a new tape?
If Veeam doesn't have this functionality, can I request this feature?

Thank you!
Dima P.
Product Manager

Post by Dima P. »

Hi Kazuha,

Yup unfortunately tape copy streams data from one tape to another without using the local storage at all so more than one tape drive is needed. As a workaround you can restore entire content to disk and then use file to tape job to tape the data out.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!