Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
aseesing
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Alex Seesing

Feature requests

Post by aseesing »

Hello everyone,

I'd like to see some options added to Veeam Backup. Should I post them here or email them to support?

Regards,
Alex
----------------------
Excerpt every option. Despite every effort.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6648 times

Re: Feature requests

Post by Gostev »

Hello Alex, here is better place because other people will be able to comment both now and in future, until this feature is implemented.
aseesing
Influencer
Full Name: Alex Seesing

Post by aseesing »

Alright then, here it comes :)

Feature requests
I’d like to do the following things with Veeam Backup & FastSCP. Can you look over it and reply what can be done already and what will come available soon?
- Scriptable:
o I want test every backup made by restoring an individual file from inside the VMDK and compare it with a reference file. When the script finds it different, it will send an alert or email all automatic. Now I have to do these checks by hand and you understand this will cost more and more time when we add more VM’s to the backup.
o While we are advancing with Virtual Infrastructure, we want to deploy new servers fully automatic and we want to add newly created servers automatically to a job or create a new one.

- Fully individual VM settings per backup job:
o I’d like to put all VM’s inside one cluster also inside one backup job but some needs different settings. I cannot backup all servers using SAN and need to use Network backup.
o Also a few VM’s have several VMDK’s which I want to exclude from the backup.
o Not always is Best compression the right action for a server due time which it takes. To be sure everything is back upped within the time window I might to set compression for servers to Optimal until I can upgrade the backup system.

- User accounts:
o I want to be able to delegate task to other system administrators and the helpdesk without giving total control. Therefore I’d like to see use of windows accounts to enable or disable function for users.

- Web access:
o In combination with user accounts, maybe it’s possible to create a web interface which enables to monitor jobs and/or restore data.

- An advanced GUI interface:
o I’d like to see the option of a classic option window instead of the wizard. Mostly while fine tuning jobs, I only want to change one single option and walking through the wizard for many times is annoying, sorry.

- That’s it for now I suppose 
----------------------
Excerpt every option. Despite every effort.
ToniVR
Influencer
Liked: 4 times
Full Name: Toni Van Remortel

Post by ToniVR » 1 person likes this post

One more:

- When deleting an obsolete infrastructure component (eg: an old vCenter FQDN), the error popup only states that 'such and such' job are still using this component in their config. It would be of great help (and reduced support) to get a detailed insight in where in the config this component is used. Today it is a search in a haystack to find if it is a VM exclusion, a credential exception, an application processing exception ...
dsalinas
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Daniel Salinas

Post by dsalinas » 1 person likes this post

I created a support case, 03105672, to ask about this and was directed to post a feature request here.

It would be nice if there was a simple way to stop any new jobs from starting in Veeam B&R. That is, "suspend job scheduling" would allow all currently running jobs to continue to completion, but prevent new jobs from starting, without needing to disable jobs or edit schedules. When there are no more currently running jobs and the B&R system is idle, then we could restart services or reboot the server (for whatever reason, e.g. for Windows updates). To return to normal operation we would toggle the "resume job scheduling" switch in this feature.

The response in the support case was to to disable or edit all jobs but this is rather cumbersome in an environment when there are 30-40 backup and backup copy jobs plus a few hundred Agent jobs. I've never posted in the forums so apologies if this isn't the correct place. Thanks.

-ds
mheckel
Novice

Post by mheckel »

Request 1: Individual reporting: I´d like to get reports for a specific time range, instead of very large, and long processing reports.
Request 2: A full list of error codes for trouble shooting.
Request 3: Additional "Info" flag for job-statistics, instead of success, warning, error only.
kjbackup
Lurker
Full Name: Kevin G

Post by kjbackup »

Request 1: Long Term retention that allows retention for example of 2 years, where each day's job is a restore point. Looking at GFS and speaking with Support, there does not appear to be a way to do this. Tried Backup Copy jobs with GFS - Per Support - "If you want granular restore points like that, the closest thing you could do is set up 100 or so weekly GFS points. That would give you 1 restore point from each week, going back almost 2 years" This example is using a backup copy job of a Veeam agent for Linux Job.
Request 2: Allow Veeam Agent for Linux jobs to back to DataDomain Repositories. (I am using regular job to Windows server, then using Backup Copy job to DD, to work around this for now, but can't get the retention required(request 1))
Request 3: Granular Email notifications Recipient list per status type on each job. (i.e. warning job emails to one list of people, success to another) - Have DBAs that wanted only to see FAILS, but I as admin want to make sure I see SUCCESS as well on all jobs - no granular control.
Request 4: Always on SQL backup features - force backups from Passive Node from Veeam backup job configuration side. - Or is it already doing this by default today?

Thanks!
Kevin
nitramd
Veteran
Liked: 85 times

Post by nitramd » 1 person likes this post

ToniVR wrote:One more:

- When deleting an obsolete infrastructure component (eg: an old vCenter FQDN), the error popup only states that 'such and such' job are still using this component in their config. It would be of great help (and reduced support) to get a detailed insight in where in the config this component is used. Today it is a search in a haystack to find if it is a VM exclusion, a credential exception, an application processing exception ...
+1, and I'll second this one in particular - been there, done that.
jarzi
Service Provider
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Jarno Arajärvi

Post by jarzi »

This must have come up before, but still:

- ability to test guest credentials against just one VM.
- Job priorities. Yesterday I had customer restoring a VM through ENT manager but it was kept on waiting for resources as there were copyjobs running. I had to stop the jobs so he could finish the restore. Restores and backups should get priority over everything else.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Post by foggy »

Thanks everybody for the feedback, much appreciated. I'm locking this thread down, since it is recommended to create a separate topic for different requests to make further discussion of each one possible. Thanks for understanding!