Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
christian.naenny
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Christian Naenny

[Feature Request] - explicitly exclude Backup Proxies from Jobs

Post by christian.naenny » 1 person likes this post

Hello all,

It would be helpful if it was possible to exclude specific Backup Proxies from being used in a job instead of explicitly including the Backup Proxies in a Job.
This way, it would be possible to have a set of Backup Proxies in special network compartments (fenced off by firewalls) that should not be used in "general purpose" Jobs.

To put it differently, I would like Veeam B&R to automatically select the Backup Proxies except those Proxies explicitly excluded from a Job.

Best regards,
Christian
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: [Feature Request] - explicitly exclude Backup Proxies from Jobs

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Christian

Thank you for your request. I added it to our feature tracking system.
As a workaround I recommend to use a scheduled PowerShell script which reads the current proxies from job and removes the one you want to exclude.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
christian.naenny
Enthusiast
Liked: 13 times
Full Name: Christian Naenny

Post by christian.naenny » 1 person likes this post

Hi Fabian
Thanks for the PowerShell Script!
Best regards
Christian
RubinCompServ
Service Provider
Liked: 66 times
Full Name: David Rubin

Post by RubinCompServ »

I'm going to +1 this feature request, and look at the script in the meantime. Thanks!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Folks, you should really look at using Proxy Affinity settings instead. This will allow achieving the same desired result without having to mess with scripts. Just create special repositories for those special jobs and define proxy affinity rules to only allow certain desired proxies to communicate with the given repositories.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

@Gostev,

That doubles the complexity of my environment. Using your suggestion, I would need to literally double the number of repositories in my environment to create "Backup from storage snapshot"-compatible repositories, and non-"Backup from storage snapshot"-compatible repositories.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

For me personally, having a few more repositories would be a no-brainer vs. using a script that constantly edits proxy settings... just thinking about having to maintain one through API changes in product updates, potential reliability issues due to the script not starting/stopping periodically due to some external influences etc. makes me cringe. Nothing dynamic can possibly be good for reliability, static environment with static settings ftw. Especially when static costs nothing to implement.
RubinCompServ
Service Provider

Post by RubinCompServ »

@Gostev,

You say, "a few more repositories", I say "a minimum of 50 repositories", and that's just SOBRs, not individual extents. Not to mention that creating new SOBRs will cause additional continuous customer management, as the Enterprise Manager quotas are set on the repo level, not on the customer level (so if a customer purchases 50TB of space from us, we would need to divide it among the two repos, and constantly monitor it to see if one repo is approaching quota (and VeeamONE can't monitor that) so that we can "move" space from the other repo's quota).

I don't want to do anything dynamically. Here's how I read the original request (and what I would like to see, as well):
I have (for example) ten proxy servers in my environment. Three of them have been customer-built for a specific customer, and only two have direct connections to the production storage (for Backup from Storage Snapshot). The remaining five proxy servers are for the general use of the 90% of remaining jobs.
When I build out my backups jobs, rather than setting each job to use the five "general use" proxy servers, I would like to tell it to use all available proxy servers except the five modified proxy servers.

What's the difference in the two scenarios? If I can set an exclusion, I can add more "general use" proxy servers to my environment without having to reconfigure some 300+ jobs to use the new proxies, whereas, with the current methodology, I would have to edit each job individually (or write a PS script) that adds the new server to each of those jobs.