Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
AlexLaforge
Influencer
Liked: 3 times
Full Name: Alex Laforge

Quiescence : Unable to find script file

Post by AlexLaforge »

We have two Veeam BR setups (very latest version 11).
But the problem already existed in v 9.5.

- 1 Veeam BR Standard (Socket license),
- 1 Veeam BR Community Edition

In every backup or replication job, in the VM Processing tab, we specify two Windows scripts :
- c:\windows\pre-freeze.bat
- c:\windows\post-thaw.bat

Strangely, the Community Edition always report "Warning : Unable to find script file".
The Veeam BR Standard does not have this problem.

Obviously, the Windows Guest OS credentials are supplied. We tried "HOST\UserAccountHere", or "UserAccountHere", without seeing any improvement.
All our job setups are similar.... so why does it "crash" in this case?

As Community Edition does not obviously offers support by Veeam, I turn to you! :-)
wishr
Veteran
Liked: 453 times
Full Name: Fedor Maslov

Re: Quiescence : Unable to find script file

Post by wishr »

Hi Alex,

There are no restrictions for pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts in the Community Edition.

Most likely the issue is related to the user permissions. I would suggesting opening a support case as we provide best-effort support for free products or try to dig into the issue on your own. You may check the availability of the files and possibility to execute them under the guest OS account you used for AAIP processing and take it from there. Please, also make sure the credentials test does not fail. The correct username format is DOMAINNAME\UserName.

Thanks
AlexLaforge
Influencer

Post by AlexLaforge »

Hi @wishr, very interesting. Did not knew that Veeam is providing a "best effort" support for free products.

The Veeam server and the processed Guest OS are both Windows, but are not part of a domain. They are independant.

The processed Guest Windows OS is just part of a WORKGROUP, and is Named let's say SYSTEM001 : should I use the following credentials :
SYSTEM001\Administrator ?
or
WORKGROUP\Administrator ?

wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

In this case it would be HOSTNAME\UserName. I would also try disabling UAC on the machine, for the sake of testing.

Thanks
AlexLaforge
Influencer

Post by AlexLaforge »

When you write "HOSTNAME", do you mean the literal "HOSTNAME" string, or in my case, "SYSTEM001" ?
wishr
Veteran

Post by wishr »

Yes, in your case it's SYSTEM001, correct.
AlexLaforge
Influencer

Post by AlexLaforge » 1 person likes this post

I'm back to my own party, very late! ... And I came with a solution!

After being sure that port 445 is open on Guest OS firewall being processed by Veeam BR, and after ensuring the Guest OS credentials are stored in Veeam BR in the form of HOST\username, pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts still were not found, altough being present on the Guest OS!

I discovered that the scripts paths defined in the Application-Aware section of the Job are... relative to the Veeam Backup Server itself, not relative to the Guest OS! :twisted:
These scripts will be copied from the VBR server to the Guest OS in a temporary place during the backup or replication process.

So I went with the following solution:
  • On the Veeam Server create pre-freeze and post-thaw scripts for each of the processed VM's, for example imagine VBR have to process 3 VM's : GUEST-001, GUEST-002, and GUEST-003, just create :
    • c:\windows\vbr-script-GUEST-001-pre-freeze.bat
    • c:\windows\vbr-script-GUEST-001-post-thaw.bat
    • c:\windows\vbr-script-GUEST-002-pre-freeze.bat
    • c:\windows\vbr-script-GUEST-002-post-thaw.bat
    • c:\windows\vbr-script-GUEST-003-post-thaw.bat
    • c:\windows\vbr-script-GUEST-003-pre-freeze.bat
  • Also, ensure that these scripts are present in c:\windows\ of the Guest OS, just in case.

And that's it! Jobs executed with the GREEN SUCCESS, and not with the YELLOW WARNING anymore! :D