Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
acntech
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Johnny

Migrate backup data from current Azure VM disks to Blob cool tier storage

Post by acntech »

I know there are few threads about this and I have gone through all the Veeam KB articles I could found. I have contacted support few months ago and they provided me this link:

https://www.veeam.com/kb3067

However, I am still unclear of the process and what to expect post migration.
Here our setup:
1) Veeam for MS M365 version 7.0.0.4388. Backup and proxy server on the same VM
2) Installed on Azure VM with two managed disks for backup repository. They are both mapped as local disks in Veeam drive D and E
3) Two jobs running: one backing up user' mailboxes belonging to a security group (type) process mail only. Second one backup user' OneDrive using security group, sites and Teams groups
4) Each job backup to each managed disk drive D and E
5) Data backed up has skyrocket along with cost. We have expanded the disk twice and now each one is 8 TB with 30% and 40% free space

After different considerations and due to business requirements:
1) solution is to use Azure Blob storage Cool Tier and backup data directly to it. Storage will be non-immutable.

I need clarification on:

1) Correct settings for the Blob storage. Can I use these: performance - standard, access tier - cool, enable point in time restore for containers. The rest unchecked or take defaults and no new containers created. Are there other features that we need to enable such as Azure File Share?
2) what is the correct syntax to use to move all the time across if:
Backup Job 1
Veeam job name is "Mailbox Backup"
Object type to backup is security group called "O365 mail"
Source repository name is "O365 Email Repository"
Blob Storage account name is "vm365storage"
Destination Veeam repository name is "vm365repository"

Backup Job 2
Veeam job name is "SharePoint and OneDrive"
Object types to backup Teams (multiple selected), M365 Group (multiple groups selected), Security Group (O365 OneDrive) , Site
Source repository name is "SharePoint and OneDrive Repository"
Blob Storage account name is "vm365storage" if a second Blob storage account needs to be created then "vm365storage2"
Destination Veeam repository name is "vm365repository" if a second one is mapped then "vm365repository2"

Note that I want to copy all data across and not just one user, security or Teams group, or site

Reading other comments, the move command and process seems to be a lengthy one. What should I expect moving data from an Azure managed disk to Blob storage? Same region. It also seems to be prone to errors and stopping half way. Should I be scare of losing data if it stops half way. Or can it be restarted from where it left off. My issue with the command is a kinda of cut and paste scenario where I would have preferred a copy and paste. The later I can remove the new blob and create a new one rather than messing with restore of the original repository.

I also heard that Robocopy might be an option but I can't find any detail how-to and not supported by Veeam, although Veeam article (official way) also says:
Support Statement
This script is provided as a courtesy and is not supported by Veeam Technical Support. Use at your own risk.
Veeam Technical Support will not assist in the usage or troubleshooting of this tool.
Thanks all
acntech
Novice

Re: Migrate backup data from current Azure VM disks to Blob cool tier storage

Post by acntech »

Forgot to mentioned, why the Veeam KB article does not mentioned migration of Teams group or provide command examples. Is it not supported and if so what is the correct method
acntech
Novice

Post by acntech »

Nevermind, I followed the script I downloaded and it has moved the mailboxes but I am having issue with SharePoint and OneDrive. The server keeps on crushing out of memory or the script crash with unhandled error and then closes it. Server is an Azure VM Standard F8s v2 (8 vcpus, 16 GiB memory) as per Veeam guidance
Mike Resseler
Product Manager
Liked: 1263 times
Full Name: Mike Resseler

Post by Mike Resseler »

Hi Johnny,

The KB gives an example. If you are running out of memory, what I propose is that you take parts and move the data step by step instead of trying to move everything. In v8 we will have a better method for migrating data from Jet DB to OSR (which will allow you to continue backups and restores while the data move (copy) is running