Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ittroll
Lurker
Liked: never

Problems with remote cluster

Post by ittroll »

Hi there,

Does Veeam Backup and replication works per local cluster basis?
Example:
Site 1 and Site 2. Each site has one cluster, connected to one vCenter located in Site 1.
I have Veeam installed in Site 1. Replication is fast within the VMs located in Site 1, 'cause Veeam has 10GB local NIC access to VMFS volumes.
When i'm trying to do the same with VMs located in Site 2, everything is slow, 'cause looks like Veeam connects to VM in Site2 then goes back to Veeam in Site1 and saves backup in VMFS store in Site 2.

Could it be that Veeam connects to VM in Site2 and saves directly in VMFS within the same site?

I know that i could install Veeam in Site 2 and have two instances with splited lincences. Is that the only way, or i'm missing something here?

Thanx for answers.
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Problems with remote cluster

Post by foggy »

Have you selected proxy servers located in site 2 for this site's VMs replication?
ittroll
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by ittroll »

OK, now we're on the same page. Since in Site 2 i have VMs that i'm not supposed to touch, except DC.
So i've used DC as proxy server. Didn't know i can do it :)

Anyway.. during the replication process, proxy server adds temporary VMDK. That's, as my understanding is, for transfer data. I assume the size of this space is depend on VM which u's actually replicating?
rbrambley
Veeam Software
Liked: 57 times
Full Name: Rich Brambley

Post by rbrambley »

ittroll wrote: Anyway.. during the replication process, proxy server adds temporary VMDK. That's, as my understanding is, for transfer data. I assume the size of this space is depend on VM which u's actually replicating?
Only because Veeam is using Virtual Appliance mode. More about that here (from the Backup and Replication FAQ):
VMware : [FAQ] FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS