Monitoring and reporting for Veeam Backup & Replication, VMware vSphere and Microsoft Hyper-V in a single System Center Operations Manager Console
Daredevil
Lurker
Liked: never

Attempting to monitor VMware Tools health

Post by Daredevil »

Goodday,

We are running a trial deployment of nWORKS 5.7. together with SCOM 2007 R2 and would like to enable the following monitors;

nWorks VMware: VMware Tools Service Not Installed
nWorks VMware: VMware Tools Service Out-of-date

I located these monitors in the Authoring section of SCOM 2007 R2 and created an override, the override summary for both monitors now reads;

Class nworks VMGUEST Unmonitored Group Enabled False
Class VMGUEST Virtual Machine Enabled True
Class VMGUEST Virtual Machine Generates Alert True

from what I understand this should enable the monitor but the health states of my VM instances remain unchanged eventhough vCenter itself (viewed through vSphere) does display several Out-of-date issues.

Is there anyone that can offer me assistance with my problem?
Alec King
VP, Product Management
Liked: 362 times

Re: Attempting to monitor VMware Tools health

Post by Alec King »

Hi,

this could be because our Monitor responds to CHANGES in the status of VMs; only when VMs Tools status changes for VMs (or when new VMs are added; or when nworks is first installed) do we send an event that triggers this monitor.

To prove this, you can rebuild the State Table - this contains various configuration items on hosts and VMs, and we create when we first connect to vCenter.
If you -
- stop the nworks Virtual Infrastructure Collector service
- delete the file StateTbl.xml in the Collector install folder, in /Data subfolder
- start the nworks Virtual Infrastructure Collector service

After the above is complete, the Collector will rebuild this file, and will resend all events on VMware Tools status for all VMs. That should trigger the Monitor.
(note, new VMs, and changes in existing VMs, will always be automatically captured - the above is just to re-send events for existing VMs)