Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Pierpa
Influencer
Liked: 1 time

Size of restored data for a SQL database

Post by Pierpa »

Hi,
restoring a SQL database with Veeam B&R v11a on a SQL 2017 server, I'm not able to see into the restore session any value that states the amount of data restored.
I can see "mounting restore point" and "Database successfully restored" only entries.

In order to provide restore statistical data, I would like to have the amount of data restored. There is a way to find this data, eventually not in the GUI but in a logfile ( please specify, if it exist ).

Las but not least, if I check the restore reports into SQL management studio for the restored database, I cannot see the restore session I've performed. My user was previously set into the SQL database login with sysadmin permission in order to be able to perform the restore, successfully terminated. Have I to be granted into the database with different permissions to see the restore reports on SQL management studio or there is something I missed?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions
Pierpa
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Re: Size of restored data for a SQL database

Post by PetrM »

Hello,

It's a known request and I absolutely agree that it would be beneficial to have some kind of more detailed statistics which includes information about the amount of restored data. It would be in one of our future releases but I cannot comment on ETA now.

You can find this info in a log file:
C:\Users\{}\AppData\Local\Veeam\Backup\SQLExplorer\Logs

Code: Select all

Getting file size: C:\VeeamFLR\name-sql10_a2a06f7e\Volume2\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL16.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\Full1.mdf (agent: name-sql22)...
Trying to get file size: C:\VeeamFLR\name-sql10_a2a06f7e\Volume2\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL16.SQLEXPRESS\MSSQL\DATA\Full1.mdf... 
  file size: 8.0 MB  
Copying 2 files (size: 16.0 MB )...
   All files copied successfully
Copying files and directories completed. Copied: 16 MB
You don't see a restore session in SQL Management Studio because there was no restore session from SQL Server perspective, explorer creates a database, copies data from a mounted restore point, attaches files etc. It's not the same as running restore directly in SQL Server Management Studio.

Thanks!