Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
OhMyEnglishTeaBags
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jack F

12.1 Malware Detection Feature

Post by OhMyEnglishTeaBags »

Good people of the Veeam forum,

In v12.1 I understand a malware detection feature was introduced. It quickly prompted us that 6 of our VMs have suspicious malware activity on them. After seeing this we ran a site-wide ESET Anti Virus scan which returned all clean. I also ran a malware scan for one of the servers through SureBackup, which also says "Malware scan test: Success". As you can imagine we are confused at this point.

Is there any way to detect the file name or location that Veeam is detecting the malware?

Server 1: Potential malware activity detected: *.mvp: 438 *.fcp: 102 *.ccc(TeslaCrypt or Cryptowall): 50 *._he: 35 *.xyz(TeslaCrypt): 21 *.osk: 18 *..txt: 8 *.ttt(TeslaCrypt 3.0): 6 *.fun(Jigsaw): 4 *.support: 3 *.vvv(TeslaCrypt 3.0): 2 *.china: 2 *.japan: 2 *.palm: 2 *.switch: 2 *.crown: 1 *.xdata: 1

Server 2: Potential malware activity detected: *.nov: 2

Server 3: Potential malware activity detected: *.666: 1

Server 4: Potential malware activity detected: *.mvp: 41

Server 5: Potential malware activity detected: *.mvp: 15 *.switch: 8 *..txt: 5 *.lion: 3 *.xyz(TeslaCrypt): 1 *.area: 1 *.support: 1

Server 6: Potential malware activity detected: *.mvp: 12

Many thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: 12.1 Malware Detection Feature

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Jack,

This check was performed by the index scan, so you can take a look at the log files located here: C:\ProgramData\Veeam\Backup\Malware_Detection_Logs

The mentioned extensions could be removed from the source machine by your AV, please take a look at AV's historical logs to be sure you are safe.

Once the file paths are detected from the logs, can you please share if that was a false positive or not? Can you confirm if those files are known and valid? Thank you for your post!
OhMyEnglishTeaBags
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Jack F

Post by OhMyEnglishTeaBags »

Hi Dima,

Thank you for letting me know the location of the logs. We have gone through the entire list and have deemed them to be false positives. I have marked the backups as clean on Veeam, but I do not want these to keep flagging up. Will they now be marked as false positives or will it keep happening?

Thanks!
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Thank you for the update and glad to hear that those are false positive alert! You need to add extensions to exclusions via Indexing scan settings:

For more details you can review this post