Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Adding Linux server throws error

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

I am attempting to rope in the official Ubuntu 20.04 LTS docker image into Veeam by SSH, and I'm getting this error message: "Installing Installer service Error: Remote failed with message: /opt/veeam/deployment/veeamdeploymentsvc: Initialization system is not supported"

I've dug through the logs but am not finding anything very helpful to identify what is missing.

Thoughts?
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

Re: Adding Linux server throws error

Interestingly, I did not have this problem when roping in an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS virtual machine on the same host. So I suspect it might be related to the "leanness" of the Docker image. But I don't know what it is missing because the logging is so uninformative!
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

Please remember to open a support case for any technical issue, as requested when you click New Topic. This is not a support forum and we won't be able to troubleshoot such issues for you over forum posts. Thank you for understanding!
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

I understand. I was hoping for more of a "Oh, that's a compatibility or dependency error message. Go over here for a list of dependencies..." and some obscure page in the helpcenter or best practice guide that somehow I missed! All I have found thus far are the general "these Linux distros" etc.
doktornotor
Enthusiast
Liked: 29 times

Post by doktornotor »

Not exactly sure what you mean by "rope in by SSH"... Supported distros and required packages listed here:

https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/agent ... tml?ver=60
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

Sorry, that means adding the endpoint into Veeam as a Linux server. Then tasking it as a Linux Proxy. I think that list you shared is for protecting Linux endpoints. I am looking for a similarly detailed list for adding the endpoint into Veeam as a Linux server and then tasking it as with the Proxy role.
doktornotor
Enthusiast

Post by doktornotor »

Ok, let me ask: Is there any reason to use docker for this? I must be missing some advantage there, just a whole lot of disadvantages.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

Lol yes--V12 broke our workaround for integration with the Synology DSM. See our forum post on veeam-backup-replication-f2/veeam-v11-a ... ml#p470785. For the NAS devices with plenty of RAM and cores, the "workaround" was going to be just spinning up a simple Docker VM to function as a Veeam NFS gateway (*I mistakenly wrote proxy earlier). This would allow the data to remain at the far end of a slow VPN tunnel instead of traversing back and forth which happens when the gateway role is at the near end of the slow VPN tunnel. It will still not be quite as performant as integration into the OS, which would result in pure on-disk diff merges. But it would be a heck of a lot better than the alternative!
doktornotor
Enthusiast

Post by doktornotor » 1 person likes this post

Ok, sounds like you daisy-chained multiple unsupported hacks and it eventually got completely broken. Anyway, my question was why docker instead of a normal VM. I assume VMM is unsupported on your Synology model?

This hacking around may be fine for some small testing/non-production environment. Would not want that in place where you need to restore something fast.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

The only thing "unsupported" perhaps is the distro of Linux. DSM is technically based on Debian, but it is a rather modified variant. So, I agree with you on that point. But other than that, integration of a Linux server by SSH for use as a repo is fully supported and would not qualify as "daisy-chaining multiple unsupported hacks" lol. As for the question, I already answered that above when I wrote, "Interestingly, I did not have this problem when roping in an Ubuntu 20.04 LTS virtual machine on the same host. So I suspect it might be related to the 'leanness' of the Docker image. But I don't know what it is missing because the logging is so uninformative!" Using Virtual Machine Manager to host a standard Ubuntu VM to function as NFS gateway is working just fine. I have not examined performance yet, but I expect it to be marginally less.
magnusvr
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Magnus von Rosen

Post by magnusvr »

I'm having the same problem as originally posted.
Brand new setup v12 (not 12.1), new Windows with Veeam installed fresh, new Ubuntu 22.04.4LTS, created the one-time account as per my usual cheat sheet, but when adding the repo I get
Installing Installer service Error: Remote failed with message: /opt/veeam/deployment/veeamdeploymentsvc: Initialization system is not supported

I have a case going, #07053338 but no result yet.
At first they thought it was due some missing package, but when I queried "which one?" the next agent suggested it was a time-issue. I verified, I am using a local NTP and it is working, running a "date" gives me the expected time.

Ideas welcome.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran

Are you using a Docker image on the NAS? I never did get that to work, but I was able to use Virtual Machine Manager (VMM) on the NAS instead.