Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Replica seeding from an Export

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

An Export creates both VBK and VBM which, according to https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120, is the core requirement. I want to do seeding from an Export as a cleaner and lesser impactful (to production) approach than create a new backup job or copying the existing backup job which has many legacy backups. So basically, I have started Exports of just the assets I need to replicate. When this is done, I will transport the repo to the far end and follow the procedure to seed the replica jobs. I want to make sure replica seeding from Export is fine, i.e. that there are no hidden caveats, since both VBK and VBM files are created and will be available? Thanks
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: Replica seeding from an Export

Post by haslund » 1 person likes this post

I gave this a quick test in the lab. If I set up a replication job and point seeding to a repo with no backups, then it immediately throws an error 'Failed to create processing task for VM xxx not found in backup for initial sync'. I then created an export of the backup for this VM to that repo and the replication job completed with seeding enabled.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Re: Replica seeding from an Export

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

Thank you for the testing. It indeed proved to work for us and saved a LOT of time and hassle having to move around heavy hardware!