Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 168 times
Full Name: Eric Machabert

Instant recovery+surebackup=NFS failing when one stops

Post by emachabert »

Hi,

Last week I was working with the support (Evgeniya) to recover a file from a Sharepoint infrastructure and I encountered a strange behaviour I forgot to speak about before closing the ticket.

To sum up, I had a backup job with excluded disk but I had not ticked the checkbox "Remove excluded disk from configuration" so I was unable to get my surebackup job running to recover the file from Sharepoint (virtual lab was failing because of the VM with excluded disk not being able to boot). The support gave me the trick to get it working (I was totaly sure you would save my day):
- VM with no excluded disks in the virtual lab
- VM with excluded disk in instant recovery with no automatic boot in order to change the configuration
For the story, this worked perfectly and I was able to recover the file, the end user (my client) was so happy he told me Veeam was its best investment of 2011 :D

During the recover process, I needed to restart the jobs multiple times and I found out the following thing:
if you run surebackup job and instant recovery simultaneously with VMs from the same backup job, if you stop one the two running jobs you will lose the other one because NFS will go into a strange state. On VMWare, all the VMs running through the NFS share will become stale. Disk latency for those VMs will go to 20 000ms.
I did the test 4 times (trying to first stop the surebackup job, then stopping the instant recovery and reverse), behaviour was the same each time, NFS latency stuck at 20 000ms.

Known bug or very bad day ?
Veeamizing your IT since 2009/ Veeam Vanguard 2015 - 2023
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Re: Instant recovery+surebackup=NFS failing when one stops

Post by Gostev »

Could be a bug, if you are able to consistently reproduce - but may also be environment-specific issue. If you could submit the log package to our support, so that this goes through formal process of investigation and reproduction internally, there is still chance that this fix makes it into the next minor release! Thanks.
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard

Post by emachabert »

For sure I can submit the logs, if it can help enhance this great product !

Since it is not a blocking issue for us how do you want me to submit the logs ?
Do I have to go through the normal process of opening a case and so on or do you have a quicker way to get the logs uploaded ?
Logs package is 74 MB.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6724 times

Post by Gostev »

Yes, use the normal process, and there will be an option to upload the log file - this is the quickest way. Also, include your explanation above, so that they know what to look for. Thanks!
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard

Post by emachabert »

:D Done !
[ID#5183599]

I used Severity 4 to not stress the support
emachabert
Veeam Vanguard