Standalone backup agents for Linux, Mac, AIX & Solaris workloads on-premises or in the public cloud
n.wilkens
Service Provider
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Nick Wilkens

SmartOS Support

Post by n.wilkens » 1 person likes this post

I am writing to request the addition of SmartOS to the list of supported operating systems for the Veeam Backup Agent.

For those unfamiliar with SmartOS, it is a robust and efficient illumos distribution, recognized for its flexibility and virtualization features. Being under the Illumos umbrella, and Solaris lineage. SmartOS powers our Triton DataCenter virtualization platform that is in use throughout the Enterprise, and IaaS provider landscape.

We've noticed that the existing Veeam agent for Solaris seems to function with SmartOS. This indicates a promising starting point for full-fledged support. Given the similarities and the compatibility, we believe that with some adjustments and optimizations, Veeam can offer a top-notch backup solution for SmartOS/Triton users.

As the primary development team behind SmartOS and Triton, we are fully committed to this cause. We are ready and willing to provide all necessary support, including development, testing, certification, and packaging.

Also, If there is a better route to follow for this type of request, please let me know.

Thanks!
Nick Wilkens
nick at mnx solutions com
PTide
Product Manager
Liked: 729 times

Re: SmartOS Support

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Do you want to back up the host, the VMs/containers, or both?

Thanks!
n.wilkens
Service Provider

Post by n.wilkens » 1 person likes this post

Ideally, SmartOS should have parity with the Solaris agent, which seems to provide a backup of the host and/or VM's/containers.

Thanks!
Nick Wilkens
n.wilkens
Service Provider

Post by n.wilkens »

I'd like to continue the discussion on this request. What are some steps we could take to help move this along?

Thanks!
PTide wrote: Aug 11, 2023 5:03 pm Hi,

Do you want to back up the host, the VMs/containers, or both?

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

Hi,

Adding support for another OS is not on the top of our priorities right now. The request is noted and has been added to our backlog.
However, there is no ETA on when we will be able to start implementing/testing anything.
We've noticed that the existing Veeam agent for Solaris seems to function with SmartOS
This presumes that something does not work as intended, am I right?

Thanks!
n.wilkens
Service Provider

Post by n.wilkens »

I certainly understand and just wanted to reiterate that we are here for full OS support including development environments to certify this solution.

Thanks!
PTide
Product Manager

Post by PTide »

What kind of certifications are you referring to? And again - it looks like the agent is not 100% functional on smartOS (based on what you've said). Do you have more details on what's gone wrong?

Thanks
n.wilkens
Service Provider

Post by n.wilkens »

Nothing has gone wrong, I was able to extract the Solaris package contents so I could run the Veeam software on SmartOS (They appear to be compatible out of the box). We are the primary development team behind SmartOS, and some minor packaging differences is the only thing that I am aware of that needs to be changed to make this work.

When I mentioned certifications/certify, I was describing that we're here to help you in any way that would allow you to say that SmartOS is a supported Veeam agent platform.

Thanks!
Nick Wilkens
VAB
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: VAB

Post by VAB »

This sounds interesting! Note that the Agent for Solaris does not restore any ZFS attributes, so you will need some alternate ways to recreate your NGZs, so they have the proper attributes in the dataset(s) in their rpool. It should not be too hard to create a wrapper that collects the important bits (such as the libbe uuid).