Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
pfranc2018
Novice
Liked: never

FLR question

Post by pfranc2018 »

Hi guys, I was checking on official documentation and i came into this:
"Windows file-level restore to original location is supported for Microsoft Windows 2008/Windows Vista or later"
I don't really get, does it mean i can still extract a single file and copy somwhere and then manually inject into the filsystem? I have a very old VM on 2003R2 and i don't understand if i can manage a single file from backup if i use the agent to backup it on Veeam 12.....
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: FLR question

Post by Mildur »

Hello Pfranc

Yes, it should be possible to use a VBR server to restore the file locally to the VBR server and then copy it yourself to the target system.

But there is no Veeam Agent which supports Windows 2003R2 and VBR v12 as a target repository. You can't use our Agent.
If this VM runs on a ESXi server, you should protect it with a VM backup job. Make sure to not enable "application-aware processing". This is not possible/supported anymore for Windows Server 2003 R2.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
pfranc2018
Novice

Post by pfranc2018 »

Hello Mildur, thank you for the reply, I was aware of the limitation but I was hoping to have found a sort of workaround, unfortunately this is not the case :D
This means i can only backup/restore as a whole VM/Instance

Thank you for your support, regards
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Pfranc

You're welcome.
Maybe a workaround if you only want to protect specific files.
You can make them accessible by SMB. Use a file backup job to protect those files.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
pfranc2018
Novice

Post by pfranc2018 »

Hummm maybe not exactly the best solution because of the application flavour but this is by far the smartest workaround i've read about FLRs! Thank you so much for the hint Mildur :D

Regards