Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

SureBackup automatic virtual lab configuration

Post by sandsturm »

In Veeam 12.1 release notes I can find some hints to the topic "automatic virtual lab configuration", but I cannot find any other/more detailed documentation on this topic. Does anyone know, where this is documented? Background for this question is: I want to have a surebackupjob, where the process takes some randomly choosen VM's within a cluster or so and does the Restore tests on these VMs. Maybe this is exactly what the "automatic virtual lab configuration" does provide?

thx,
sandsturm
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: SureBackup automatic virtual lab configuration

Post by Mildur »

Hi Sandsturm

I checked the release notes and we have this known limitation at least since V10 (I only checked v10, v11 and v12).
"automatic virtual lab configuration" means the first option in the networking settings. If your backup server has an address from a non-public address range, we will have issues to automatically deploy our proxy appliance. But I assume this is not the case in your or any environment. Backup server should always have an address within private ip ranges (10.0.0.0/8, 172.16.0.0/12, 192.168.0.0/16).

I want to have a surebackupjob, where the process takes some randomly choosen VM's within a cluster or so and does the Restore tests on these VMs. Maybe this is exactly what the "automatic virtual lab configuration" does provide?
It will work. There is limitation on how many networks a single virtual appliance can handle, if you want to do ping and application testing. For vSphere, it's limited to 9 different isolated subnets. If you use more than that, multiple virtual labs and SureBackups will be required.
Try it out and please let us know if any questions comes up in the implementation process.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
sandsturm
Veteran
Liked: 23 times

Post by sandsturm »

okay, thanks for you answer. That does not really help me. ;-)
I thought I had read it once related to v12.1 release that there will be an option to have a random amount of VMs in a sureBackup tasks. As an example: Let's say I have some vSphere clusters running a workload of 1000-2000 VMs and want to do a restore test every night for a handful of these VMs, choosen randomly and therefore have a restore test for most of these VMs after an amount of time.
But it seems that I was wrong with my expectation :-)

thx,
sandsturm
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

The statement in the release notes is not related to the v12.1 feature „random vm testing“.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software