Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Fiskepudding
Expert
Liked: 26 times
Full Name: Espen Dykesteen

[SOLVED] SureBackup tests fail..

Post by Fiskepudding »

Just wanted to share something with the community.

I had some SureBackup jobs running, where the Heartbeat, Ping and Script test run successfull on EVERY VM, EXEPT our exchange, The mail script failed on that one
Since I mostly use Win 2008R2 servers and VMXNET3, I decided to install the MS hotfix KB2550978. And while I was at it i also upgraded our ESXi 5.0 to Update 1 (and upgraded vmtools on all guests)
Hoping this would help filx the failiure on the mail script.

Afther this process NONE of my VM's passed the ping and Script test. They all passed the Heartbeat tho.

I tried different tings, creating new fresh backups, recreating application groups, Virtual labs and jobs.
Nothing seemed to help.

Since all of my VMs and VeeamProxies are on the same network, the manual actually suggest to use Basic configuration of the network in the Virtual lab.
So i did this when recreating the Virtual lab. Remember this was the settings I had used before MS hotfix, ESX update and vmtools. It worked.

I got in contact with Support, and they kindly logged on to my system. His first test was to create the Virtual lab network manually.
Guess what. The verification worked just as before the hotfix,ESX update and vmtools.

So if anyone exprience any problems with surebackup after these updates (I obvisually dont know witch, since I did them all at once, shame on me), setting up the vLab's network manually might help you too.

(I still have the same issues with exchange scirpt verification, ping and heartbeat works, but thats another storrry) :)

Fiskepudding.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Re: [SOLVED] SureBackup tests fail..

Post by Cokovic »

Whats in your application group when you test your Exchange server? Do you have a DC and DNS in your lab too?
Fiskepudding
Expert

Post by Fiskepudding »

Yea I have a DC with global catalog and a second DC, providing the exchange with both DNS's.

However there might be an issue with AD and exchange in the production environment as well. If I am lucky this surebackup problem brought this up.
I am currently working on this, an as of now the problem with the script failing migt be a real issue. So far it seems related to som bad certificates.
In other words SureBackup might have saved my some problems down the line already.
Cokovic
Veteran
Liked: 59 times
Full Name: Haris Cokovic

Post by Cokovic »

Do you also checked the AD, Global Catalog and DNS roles for your servers in the application group? It will extend the boot time but do also some magic tricks to your DC's and DNS Servers to ensure they start correctly within your lab.
Fiskepudding
Expert

Post by Fiskepudding »

Yes all roles were selected accordanly.
Hower DC1 and excahnge were from the latest backup and DC2 i soemhow managed to add from an OLD backup job.
This was probably why my exchange verification did not work. I was looking in the wrong place for the Exhange problem.

However, this had nothing to with the problem I explained earlier. (after the patch only heartbeat succeseeded on all server in anny combination)
jim3cantos
Enthusiast
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: José Ignacio Martín Jiménez

Re: SureBackup ping test fail..

Post by jim3cantos »

Fiskepudding wrote:Just wanted to share something with the community.

I had some SureBackup jobs running, where the Heartbeat, Ping and Script test run successfull on EVERY VM, EXEPT our exchange, The mail script failed on that one
Since I mostly use Win 2008R2 servers and VMXNET3, I decided to install the MS hotfix KB2550978. And while I was at it i also upgraded our ESXi 5.0 to Update 1 (and upgraded vmtools on all guests)
Hoping this would help filx the failiure on the mail script.

Afther this process NONE of my VM's passed the ping and Script test. They all passed the Heartbeat tho....
Fiskepudding.
Similar issue here. After installing MS hotfix (no more changes if I remember well), VM's get correct (fixed) IP but the ping test fails (before patch, they got DHCP address and ping test was ok). Hearbeat is ok, IP is correctly assigned (you can see in vcenter and also "pinging" from another vm in the application group). Already using manual network configuration in virtual lab. Also recreated lab but nothing changed. Support case number is 00830130.