Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
jcofin13
Service Provider
Liked: 1 time

test reading aws repo

Post by jcofin13 »

I have an production instance of veeam vbr (11) backing up locally to the performance tier and then moving stuff off to the capacity tier which is in aws and immutable.

I am wondering if i can spin up another instance of veeam vbr in azure or elsewhere and then connect up to the capacity tier that would allow me to read the repo and restore from it without affecting the production backup. Id like to have the option in case of an extreme emergency where on prem completely fails. It would be nice to know if we can read and restore from the stuff we have in the capacity tier in aws to another location if need be.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: test reading aws repo

Post by Mildur »

Hi jcofin13

Yes, you can. Ensure the second VBR has the exact same build number, and set your capacity tier to maintenance on the primary backup server.

1. Switch the AWS repository on your primary backup server to the maintenance mode
2. Connect the AWS bucket to a new backup server
3. Import the backups --> https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
4. Run restore tests
5. remove the AWS bucket from new backup server
6. Disable maintenance mode from the AWS repository on the primary backup server

When a disaster happens to the primary backup server, just repeat step 1-3 and start restoring.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
jcofin13
Service Provider

Post by jcofin13 »

Thank you. I will give this a shot. I was afraid it would change a bit or id on the source data and potentially start a new chain and double our storage usage once we swtiched back to production.
jcofin13
Service Provider

Post by jcofin13 »

Finally getting around to doing this.
I was able to put my aws storage in maintenance mode and then add it to my test instance of veeam. I have the import running but its been running for 1 hour and 15 minutes so far and its only on "importing 2 of 10" and hasnt moved. IM not sure its doing anything. Is it normal for it to take that long? I almost want to close this Configuration Synchronization screen and try again.

It really doesnt show that its progressing at all other than the "duration" time is going up.
jcofin13
Service Provider

Post by jcofin13 » 1 person likes this post

update: It finally finished. Took just under 2 hours.