Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
sebastian.mair
Influencer
Liked: never

immutable repo retention timer

Post by sebastian.mair »

Case ID: 07074574

hi,

i have a purestorage flashblade and using s3 object storage bucket as my primary repo.

i have set the immutable retention timer to high and have now a litte bit of space problems.

how does veeam cleanup old backups that are not more protected by immutable ?

i have not seen an job where the backups are getting deleted. where can i see the deletion? under system => background retention?

i have now created a case with purestorage to disable the safemode and want to delete the backups from veeam and set the immutable timer lower.

but the make recent backups immutable checkbox is still greyed out. so i cannot delete backups.

the backups are growing and growing..and i have not much space left..

any ideas?

sebastian
jason.berry
Veeam Software
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Jason Berry

Re: immutable repo retention timer

Post by jason.berry »

Hi, Sebastian

This is hard to answer specifically because it depends on how your jobs are configured and your pure storage setup. But reading the case notes and your description it looks like you might be experiencing block generation which is a feature of how Veeam leverages object storage. Basically, to make sure we have retention consistency across the backup chain and reduce the amount of API calls we might make to S3 (think hyper scalers where each API call has a cost) we add 10 days to the immutability period. There is a more detailed description here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

What you are seeing for background retention is specific to orphan backups where jobs are deleted or regular jobs where it might have failed in the middle of applying retention etc.. you can read more about that here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

I would open up a case with Pure and see if they can assist you will lowering the immutability on the buckets/objects and then you can choose non-essential backups to delete until your storage utilization is lowered

Jason