Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
sarapinho
Enthusiast
Liked: 7 times
Full Name: Amauri Ramos

Job does not start at scheduled time

Post by sarapinho »

Hello people,

I have some agent and VM jobs that don't start at the scheduled time, has anyone had this problem?

Case #05389359

Thanks
foggy
Veeam Software
Liked: 2115 times
Full Name: Alexander Fogelson

Re: Job does not start at scheduled time

Post by foggy »

Hi Amauri, not a typical issue unless you have something misconfigured in terms of the scheduling. If you could share your scheduling settings and describe what exactly doesn't work as expected, we could try to track it down.
sarapinho
Enthusiast

Post by sarapinho »

Hi Foggy.

I have the jobs with the following schedules.

Jobs that run once a day with a 15-minute break

7:45 PM
8:15 PM
8:30 PM
8:45 PM
9:45 PM
9:15 PM

This doesn't always happen, but at 2x a week the jobs don't run.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you mean they do not even start or start but do not create any backups (due to some resources unavailability, for ex.)?
sarapinho
Enthusiast

Post by sarapinho »

They don't start, it simply ignores the schedule.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

If the jobs:

- do not start at the precisely scheduled time (by precisely I mean that there is a certain time defined in the job schedule, not some dependency or job chaining - the second job starts after the first one finishes or similar)

- there are no messages in the job sessions similar to "awaiting for backup resources availability)

Then continue your investigation with the support team, cause the described behaviour does not look expected.

Thanks!
PetrM
Veeam Software
Liked: 528 times
Full Name: Petr Makarov

Post by PetrM » 2 people like this post

Hello,

I encountered a similar issue a few years ago and it was related to SQL database performance. Veeam checked schedule of all jobs periodically but due to a heavy load on Veeam database, the check of schedule happened later than a job itself was supposed to be started, as a result job start time was simply ignored. As far as I see, the case has already been escalated and our senior engineers work on it. Let's wait for what our support team finds out as Vladimir has said, in the meantime I'll ask your support engineer to check whether the version about periodic check (maybe there are some registry keys to fine-tune it) and DB performance is relevant to your case.

Thanks!
SnakeSK
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times

Post by SnakeSK »

Just experienced this today, VBR just skipped jobs processing without any error - opened case 05794056. SQL server is dedicated to VBR only, the utilization of the server was not high. Altought we had numerous cases when we complained (as a VCSP) that the management agent is causing CPU spikes, this was never forwarded to relevant teams at Veeam. In this case the SQL consumes about 10% of CPU and about 10 gigs of memory (16GB limit). Also these were the lighter jobs that were supposed to run.
Started the jobs manually but this really boggles my mind how can VBR just skip the processing, and even reflect it in the UI that the job will run tomorrow without any checks if the job ran successfully.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Could you please describe how are the jobs scheduled?
SnakeSK
Service Provider

Post by SnakeSK »

Daily at certain time, all timed so they wont overlap.
foggy
Veeam Software

Post by foggy »

Do you mean all the jobs have a particular start time or are they chained to run one after another?
SnakeSK
Service Provider

Post by SnakeSK »

All jobs have independent times, there is not a single job with "Run after this job" setting.
veremin
Product Manager
Liked: 2258 times
Full Name: Vladimir Eremin

Post by veremin »

Then, our previous answer still stands - the situation does not seem expected, so continued investigation with the support team is the best course of action here. Thanks!
sarapinho
Enthusiast

Post by sarapinho » 3 people like this post

Hi,

Just to complement, and confirming what PetrM said.

The jobs did not start because the SQL Server where the database is hosted was using a lot of CPU and memory, after adjustments the jobs returned to work correctly.
janezk
Enthusiast
Liked: 11 times
Full Name: Janez K

Post by janezk »

Hi,

I had a similar problem. I have an Exchange job scheduled to run every 4 hours during the day. It happened (only twice in 14 days), that a job didn't start and there was absolutely nothing in logs as far as I could see. Opened a support case and got a private fix in a week. From then on everything is working as expected (cca 2 months now)
I have to give credit to Veeam support team for very fast analysis and escalation to T2 and R&D for a quick fix.

BR

Janez
napoleon1769
Lurker
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Kiril Apostolov

Post by napoleon1769 »

I had the same problem for months. I received a private fix from Veeam Support. From that moment everything is fine again
chovavz
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: chovav zutra

Post by chovavz »

I am facing the same situation. I have a job scheduled to run every 4 hours, 15 minutes past the hour. Veeam will skip activating the job randomly. sometimes twice in a day. I was told to change some session settings but it did not help. I had 2 cases open - the last one is 07078625 and the previous one was 07054070. There is no error or warning message - the job does not run as if it does not exist.
Veeam version 12.0
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

There are no known issues with this functionality in V12 or similar reports from other customers, so it has to be something specific to your environment. Please continue working with your support engineer to troubleshoot this. Thank you