Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
sixarm
Enthusiast
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: David Roberts

VBO v7 - Wasabi Storage - Object versioning is enabled on the bucket/container

Post by sixarm »

Hi,

Last week I upgraded from v6 to v7. We backup our 365 organisation to two locations; an Azure Storage Account and a Wasabi S3-compatible bucket. Since the upgrade all jobs that use Wasabi are giving the following warning:

Object versioning is enabled on the bucket/container. Some backup data cannot be removed by retention and will remain in the repository.

We have the repositories in VBO configured with snapshot-based 1 year retention. The thinking being that data will be retained for 1 year in Wasabi. We haven't quite hit that year yet, so Wasabi consumption is just going up and up.
  1. How do I ensure that Veeam, or Wasabi for that matter, will prune this data once we hit the one year mark?
  2. Is there a way to suppress this warning as it generates an email to our helpdesk for each job that runs?
  3. In Wasabi we have bucket version and object locking enabled. Should there be an option to retain for x days/years?
Thanks in advance!
sixarm
Enthusiast

Re: VBO v7 - Wasabi Storage - Object versioning is enabled on the bucket/container

Post by sixarm »

I've just noticed here - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70

We have our Wasabi added as S3-compatible as Wasabi wasn't an option when we originally set this up, which I think was in v5.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Re: VBO v7 - Wasabi Storage - Object versioning is enabled on the bucket/container

Post by Polina »

Hi David,

[EDITED] VB365 supports versioning on buckets and object lock only for repositories with immutability (i.e. only for storing immutable copies of your backups). On repositories where you store your regular backups versioning and object lock must be turned OFF, because otherwise, it doesn't allow us to apply retention properly and potentially can cause corruption of your backup data.

The verification check was added in v7 (while the limitation was there in the documentation since v6 if I'm not mistaken), and to remove these warnings, you should turn off the versioning/object lock on your Wasabi bucket.

Thanks!
sixarm
Enthusiast

Post by sixarm »

Hi Polina,

Thanks for the reply and that all makes sense.

So this now asks the question...how do I transition from our current repositories to the newly defined Wasabi Cloud Storage repository with immutability enabled? We have almost a years worth of backups in our bucket that I want to maintain or migrate.

Could I do the following:
  1. Create temporary repository and change relevant jobs to point to this repository temporarily.
  2. Remove all existing Wasabi-backed repositories.
  3. Remove all existing Wasabi object storage (S3 Compatible)
  4. Create new Wasabi object storage pointing to same location as before but now defined as Wasabi Cloud Storage with immutability enabled.
  5. Create new Wasabi-backed repositories.
  6. Point jobs back appropriate new repository.
All the while the bucket and settings remain the same with versioning and object-locking enabled.

Would that work and maintain the existing backup data?

Are you able to advise please.

Thanks in advance.
hpb94
Novice
Liked: never

Post by hpb94 »

Hi disarm,

I am getting the same error and just wondered if you could share if you reached a solution for this?