Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ratkinsonuk
Expert
Liked: 14 times
Full Name: Robert Atkinson

Upgrading Veeam Windows Operating System Version

Post by ratkinsonuk »

I've spent some time reading through lots of articles regarding upgrading to Veeam v12 and integrating VHR's, but I'm finding very little content about upgrading the operating system. Specifically, how to pre-install and test a new O/S within our environment onto a new server, and then migrate Veeam to the new server.

A number of questions are raised that have to be dealt with.

1) Is it possible/advisable to upgrade Veeam at the same time (in our case, v11 to v12.1), and what further issues does that raise (SQL config restore to Postgres is one obvious alarm bell)

2) How do we test the new 'to be live' server; this would need to include running backups, etc. Where is the test data written to; we don't really want this going back to the live database and storage do we?

3) What does the final migration from the old server to the new one actually look like. Is it simply a case of restoring the configuration database or are there other problems to be dealt with

I'm sure that answers to some of these questions exist hidden away in the forums. Let's face it, it's a fairly bread+butter task we all face, migrating applications to new servers. In the same way that the VHR and v12 Upgrade Centre cookbooks have been created, it would be great to see something similar for O/S upgrades. A living document that starts with the basics and then organically grows as more problems are uncovered or the process changes with new releases.

In the meantime, if anyone has any experience of achieving the basic process outlined above, I'd really love to hear form you as I feel I'm somewhat blind and can't get enough traction at the moment to get moving.

Thanks, Rob
SSSSSStorage
Influencer
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: T C

Re: Upgrading Veeam Windows Operating System Version

Post by SSSSSStorage » 1 person likes this post

Veeam have a DR crib sheet to walk through to spin up a new VB&R environment, and I have walked through it and its pretty simple, but that always related to the same versions, so i would do the below with the same product version, then update it all afterwards.

1) build fresh server and do a backup config import (i did this on an Isolated VLAN) you can see it should all be working but with no 'live' connections.
2) you cannot connect to your 'live' repositories as multiple B&R servers connecting to the same repos can lead to data corruption I believe? so either connect to a small independent one to test
3) as with building a fresh server > config backup import. there isn't much more too it. if you couldn't reconnect to your DBs you would loose logs/history but you wouldn't loose the backups, just have to rescan your repos.

having done upgrades in the past with VHRs you just have to insert your single use credentials/root credentials as required to backup their components.