Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
ajriek
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Tony Riek

VBR migration to new server

Post by ajriek »

Good morning

I have read the guide on how to move to a new VBR server. The old server is sitting in our shared DC that also houses local storage used for the SOBR. The new VBR server will be in Azure and just be the brains of the operation. We still need the old server to be used as the local proxy and repo in the DC.

What do we need to do to the old server to preserve the existing backup data and just "convert" it to a simple proxy??? I just need to get my ducks in a row so I can make the switch to the new VBR server later next week. Thanks
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: VBR migration to new server

Post by haslund »

This can be done by restoring your configuration backup to the new server using the 'Migrate' mode.
All the prerequisites and steps can be found in the user guide here: https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... store.html

After migrate, the old backup server will still act as repository and proxy.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
ajriek
Influencer

Post by ajriek »

So what exactly does the migrate function do? Does it render the old server config DB null and only use the new server?? I do not want a split brain mode to happen.
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

I've done this many times, using both the "Migrate" and "Restore" options, usually the former. I always disabled the jobs, per the blurb for that option, and then did a final config backup. Then after installing VBR and restoring the config on the new server, I just left the backup jobs disabled on the old server. If you protect Agent endpoints, you may need to jump through some hoops (minor in complexity) to get them managed by the new server. If I recall the experiences I had, the new server will not know anything about the old server, so you will need to add it to Veeam on the new server post "migration" for whatever roles you desire. If Veeam components on the old server are older than BNR on the new server, expect the new server to try to upgrade the components, which can have complications you have to work through (usually solved by just uninstalling that particular component from the old server through Control Panel and then re-attempting the add). On some occasions I continued to use the old server as a repo (usually like as a static archive of the old backup sets while I started a new chain to the new backup server if also a new repo). Or, I would use it as a proxy if it still made sense to keep around (i.e. not extremely old). Bottom line--like haslund said, use the "Migrate" option, but be prepared to have to do a few things afterwards. One thing I never did was try to uninstall Veeam from the old server. I always just left it in place.
ajriek
Influencer

Post by ajriek »

Would it be "safe" to uninstall the VBR, reboot and then let the VBR connect and setup the proxy, etc???
TitaniumCoder477
Veteran
Liked: 48 times
Full Name: James Wilmoth

Post by TitaniumCoder477 »

I suppose. If I was going to do a full uninstall of VBR from the old server, I would disconnect the NIC first to make doubly sure the new server isn't touched. Then just uninstall all the Veeam-related things listed in Control Panel. You can also uninstall SQL. Then reboot, reconnect the NIC, and add the old server into the new server's Veeam as a proxy or repo or whatever. Note--you still may need to jump through some hoops for any managed agent endpoints. I've never done a migration without having to manually remap some managed agents to the new server. For some reason, they would also still want to be managed by the old server.