Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

VBM backup validator?

Post by mdiver »

How are you validating the consistency of your long-term stored VBM backups?

We just had a customer for which it turned out that storage problems made his VBM backups partly useless.
Also I fear that not every current on-prem S3 implementation is totally bug free right now.

So wouldn't it be nice if we could do a full check of a repos CRC consistency?
Quite like backup validator in VBR.

Thanks.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VBM backup validator?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Michael

There is currently no health check built into our product to check older objects.
We use the object storage native controls to verify that our object was written away correctly at the time of writing. We do not perform regular checks on objects after they were written away.

Some object storages appliances provide functions to check the integrity of an object. If an object is damaged, they automatically replace it with a copy on another node. This can be helpful to detect damaged objects. I found at least three vendors which provides such functionality.
Does the appliance from this customer provide such functionality?

Thanks
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
mdiver
Veeam Legend
Liked: 33 times

Post by mdiver »

Hi Fabian.

At least for S3 internal checks might be part of a solution.

For this specific customer it even was file based storage (JetDB).
So in general a CRC from within Veeam against the data would be useful I guess. You might want to consider it a feature request... ;)
A workaround could be to do a backup copy of the full repository maybe? This would detect inconsistencies, wouldn't it?

Thanks
Michael
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hi Michael
For this specific customer it even was file based storage (JetDB).
I thought we are talking about "not every current on-prem S3 implementation". :)

For jet db based databases, the customer can use a manual approach with esentutl.exe. It can be used to check the database integrity.
VB365 services have to be stopped while doing the integrity check.
You might want to consider it a feature request...
Chances are small, that there will be new features around jet db based repositories.
But for object storage-based repositories it would make sense to have some checks in place.
A workaround could be to do a backup copy of the full repository maybe? This would detect inconsistencies, wouldn't it?
Backup copies won't be a solution.. They require object storage as the source repository.

Thanks
Fabian
oflores
Novice
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Oscar Flores

[MERGED] Information integrity

Post by oflores »

Hi everyone, I recently had a problem with my S3 storage, so I asked the support team how to check the status around my snapshots, and the answer was that I should open my restore points randomly, is this enough? Someone has been in the same case to be sure of the integrity of the information, how do they verify the integrity of restore points in an object storage?

Case ID #07086398
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Oscar

Welcome to the forum.
Our customer support is correct on this matter.
There is currently no integrity check in VB365. We know about the request and we plan todo research how it can be done for a vNext version.
At the moment, manual restore testing is required to check if the restore points are healthy.

Best,
Fabian