Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
MMASLOUH7
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mohamed MASLOUH

Take Veeam backup Server out of domain

Post by MMASLOUH7 »

Hello,

Im planing to take out Veeam backup server from domain to protect it against ransomwares and other domain attacks.

So, my question is can i switch the current Veeam backup server from domain to workgroup or prepare a new machine and restore the latest config backup.
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Re: Take Veeam backup Server out of domain

Post by DanielJ » 1 person likes this post

Yes, I have done this several times without problems. Just make sure you have a local admin account you can use before you do it, and that this account has the backup admin role in VBR.
MMASLOUH7
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Mohamed MASLOUH

Post by MMASLOUH7 »

Hello DanielJ,

Thank you for your feedback.

So Veeam Database and all other Veeam components will not be impacted after this action, right?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hi Mohamed

You may have to update credentials for each managed server in the Veeam console, if you take them out of the domain too.
Repository, proxy, WAN accelerator or tape server shouldn't be in the production domain as well.

Veeam Database depends on how you have configured the configuration. If you have installed the database server on a domain joined machine (or domain joined backup server), and you remove that machine from the domain, you have to reconfigure the connection:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

By the way, this question was asked multiple times in this forum. You will find many topics regarding "taking out the backup server from the domain".

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software