Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
arnolap
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Arnaud

Workstation Bare Metal Restore : How to change hostname ?

Post by arnolap »

Hi,
I want for a VIP to create a spare (identical) laptop with regular (I wished automatic) bare metal restores from his main laptop daily backups, while his main laptop is ONLINE.

However when doing this, it restores the full computer including the initial hostname.
So when logging in on it after restores, it registers to the domain, and all hell breaks loose, since 2 machines with same hostname registered : It seems Veam BR can't scan them anymore.

I can change hostname afterwards, but it's too late : I need to change hostname either at restore time, or just after before booting windows.
How can I do that ? I tried multiple options (winPE .., Veam DOS terminal, ..) but as registry nor powershell are loaded, none of the usual tool can work.

What are we doing wrong , or how to achieve this simple task ? There are network options in veeam restore wizard , but I don't see any hostname pref option
haslund
Veeam Software
Liked: 149 times
Full Name: Rasmus Haslund

Re: Workstation Bare Metal Restore : How to change hostname ?

Post by haslund »

The only workaround suggestions I can think of are:
1. Once restore is completed, do not power on the machine.
2. Perform restore from a closed network that does not have access to anything else than what is required to perform the restore.
Rasmus Haslund | Twitter: @haslund | Blog: https://rasmushaslund.com
arnolap
Novice

Post by arnolap »

Dear Haslund,
Thank you for tour feedback,
However big no-go on your workaround suggestions ,

1/ restore without testing that restore is effectively working makes no sense (we can't just hope everything is ok !)

2/ we thought about that, but wifi to global network is activated on main workstation , so it will be active on restored spare during boot time, workstation has no hardware switch to deactivate wifi. Going to the Starbucks to perform the test is not an option

What we need is a reliable solution to script change the host name at restore time. Delll BM restore and others have this option in restore flow.
What else could be done with veeam ?
arnolap
Novice

Post by arnolap »

Hi,
I'm surprised to not have any serious/reliable answer on this very basic issue;
basically there is no reliable process to restore a BMR to a spare computer while the main one is active ?
For instance, a script that could be executed at the end of the restore to change the hostname, before booting windows ?

+ any guidance on how to execute an unattended BMR, (ie : automating the restore wizard with some preset options, like type of restore, veam backup server ip, restore token, ...) ?

Thanks,
- Arnaud