Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
Epxs
Lurker
Liked: never

VMware Imaging - HP Blades

Post by Epxs »

Hi All,

First of all I must say, I love Veeam and my overall impression of the suite is awesome. :o

So we have some HP 465 Blade servers and I decided to give Veeam a crack and image some of the VMs there as a proof of concept. The bad thing is it ground all of the VMs to a halt - specifically, I believe the network was saturated. I was just wondering if anyone has setup Veeam on Blades and what the theory behind that is. IE How to configure the network for best Veeam performance and have VMs still usable for cilents.

We have 4 1gig NICS assigned per blade server and a physical blade 460 with 2008 R2 and Veeam with 2 NICs. I am wondering how to get the best performance without slowing the network too much, but at the same time be able to image upwards of 20 VMs.

3x 465s use an EMC SAN with ISCSI as the main datastores.
1x 460 uses internal SAS disks to run windows with Veeam.
1x EMC SAN with 4x 1gb NICs.
1x Buffalo NAS with 2x 1gb NICs. (Our backup target).

Please go easy on me guys, I really would like to see how other people are using Veeam and join the movement! 8)
vmbackupuser
Enthusiast
Liked: 2 times

Re: VMware Imaging - HP Blades

Post by vmbackupuser » 2 people like this post

I've successfully used Veeam on BL460c for the past few years. However, my primary processing mode was SAN Mode, as its simply the fastest method. Just need to Disable Automount, Present your ISCSI/FC VMFS LUNs (Read-Only) to the Veeam Blade.
Epxs
Lurker
Liked: never

Re: VMware Imaging - HP Blades

Post by Epxs »

vmbackupuser wrote:I've successfully used Veeam on BL460c for the past few years. However, my primary processing mode was SAN Mode, as its simply the fastest method. Just need to Disable Automount, Present your ISCSI/FC VMFS LUNs (Read-Only) to the Veeam Blade.
Thank you very much for the info! I will have another go and post up the results here :)

Cheers!