Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
Bjoern_ch
Service Provider
Liked: 16 times
Full Name: Bjoern

issues excluding a team

Post by Bjoern_ch »

Hi veeam team,

my customer asked me to exclude a specific team from all his SP and Teams Jobs.
Job config:
One SP Job with all SP Sites included (added as entire orga/SP only): "XXX-sharepoint"
Three Teams Jobs:
1. Job: A -L at November 6th "XXX-teams-01"
2. Job M - Z November 6th "XXX-teams-02"
3. Job entire orga teams only, all teams which existed November 6th are excluded "XXX-teams-03"
The specific team is named "TS-StreamArchiv".
I added the Site and the team to the exclusions of the SP Job. Worked fine and as expected. (No need to exclude the team but I did it anyway and it worked perfectly fine).
Could also add the site to all teams Jobs as an exclusion (also no need - I know). BUT I cannot add the team to the teams jobs as an exclusion because the team is not found! Which totally makes no sense because i still find the team in the SP Job.
More interestingly I can find a team in the teams jobs and add it to the exclusions, which is named "StreamArchiv" (without the prefix TS-). It looks like this is the correct team.
Why do I find the team "TS-StreamArchiv" (with prefix) in one job but not in another? From my understanding I must found it in all jobs because it is in the tenant.
Can anyone explain this behaviour to me? Thanks a lot.
case: #03240835

Bjoern
Bjoern_ch
Service Provider

Re: issues excluding a team

Post by Bjoern_ch »

One more information:
PS C:\windows\system32> Get-Team -DisplayName "StreamArchiv"

GroupId DisplayName Visibility Archived MailNickName Description
------- ----------- ---------- -------- ------------ -----------
b7ed405c-d947-4057-ab7b-49440b7f3f2d StreamArchiv Private False TS-StreamArchiv alte Aufnahmen ...

So, DisplayName is "StreamArchiv" and MailNickName is "TS-StreamArchiv".
Questions remains: Why can/must I use the Displayname in one Job and the MailNickName in another job? Shouldn`t it be the same all the time? Looks quite inconsistent to me.
Polina
Veeam Software
Liked: 708 times
Full Name: Polina Vasileva

Post by Polina »

Hi Bjoern,

Regarding the issue with exclusions, it'd be best to continue troubleshooting it with Veeam Support. Honestly, I haven't heard about similar cases so far, and cannot explain why it could happen.
The inconsistency thing could simply be a bug in the code. We'll check it internally; thanks for noticing.
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

@Bjoern_ch
Questions remains: Why can/must I use the Displayname in one Job and the MailNickName in another job? Shouldn`t it be the same all the time? Looks quite inconsistent to me.
The difference in search logic comes from the difference in object types. For teams and groups, search is performed by a DisplayName; while for sites, search is performed by site URL (or part of the URL).
When you change team's DisplayName (i.e. rename team in the Teams app or via the web), it doesn't impact the NickName and the URL of the site associated with this team (they remain as is).
Make sense?
Bjoern_ch
Service Provider

Post by Bjoern_ch »

Hi Polina,

thanks for your reply.
Well, I tried to add the exact same team to different jobs, meaning it is the same object type, not different ones.
If I want to add the team to the exclusions of my SP job again (you cannot add it again but you can search for the object) I must use the DisplayName now in order to find it, even though i can still see the object/team added with MailNickName to exclusions :-)
Polina
Veeam Software

Post by Polina »

Hi Bjoern,

Could it be that you've added a team to inclusions or exclusions of whatever job (it doesn't really matter in this case) with its original display name (same as its nickname) and then after the job has been configured and saved, this team has been renamed? Honestly, this is the only way that I can currently think of how you can see a team in exclusions with its MailNickName :)