Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
AlexL
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alex

sharepoint restore error required role missing

Post by AlexL »

Weird issue, if I want to restore a sharepoint site with the explorer I get an error stating that I'm missing either the global admin or sharepoint administrator role. This is the only role that is required according to the documentation. Before you ask, permissions on the enterprise backup app are correct.
But I do have, 100% sure, the sharepoint administrator rol assigned to my account BUT it is assigned thru a group, not direct.
If I remove this group and do only a direct assignment it suddenly works.

Anyone ever seen this behaviour before? And if so, got a workaround/solution?

I'll open a support case as well, will update this post when I have the case number.

Edit: Case #07091507
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: sharepoint restore error required role missing

Post by Mildur »

Hi Alex

Thank you. I have the same limitation in my lab. I have shared this request with the team.

As a workaround you may use our Restore Portal with the Restore Operator role. For the Restore Portal, the SharePoint Administrator role is not required.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
AlexL
Service Provider
Liked: 5 times
Full Name: Alex

Re: sharepoint restore error required role missing

Post by AlexL »

These case was closed, it was a known issue/limitation and there was apperently already a internal FR request open for this issue as well as a FR for a documentation update.
Thanks for the restore portal tip, I haven't tested as a restore operator yet but most restore requests we are seeing is when an object, a site in this case, has been deleted and is past the Microsoft retension time.