fret
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Saša Petrov

Backup Delete

Post by fret »

Case #07102253

Hello
I am using Veeam Backup and Replication Community Edition 9.5 U4. I have a backup job with 6 virtual machines. I removed 3 of them from the backup job and deleted them using the 'Delete from disk' command from the 'Backups - disks' section. However, the space on the repository was not freed up, meaning the disk space was not reclaimed. Is this possible with this type of backup job, or do I need to delete everything and create the backup job again since I am running out of disk space on the repository?

Best Regards
Sasa Petrov
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup Delete

Post by Mildur »

Hi Sasa

With the community edition you have „per job“ backup files. Which means, all VMs are written to a single file per job run (vbk and vib)
We won‘t delete your backup files as long as there are still backups in it which you want to keep. Backup files also won‘t get smaller when you delete backups from a single vm.

This is explained in our userguide:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120
[If per-machine is disabled] Veeam Backup & Replication only marks data block that belong to the deleted VMs as empty — the size of backup files does not change. However, Veeam Backup & Replication will use these data blocks during such operations as merging backup files. To reduce the size of full backup files in forever forward incremental and reverse incremental backup chains, you can compact full backup files. In forward incremental backup chains, files with block marked as empty will be deleted by retention.

Please also note, version 9.5 update 4 is old. Really old. You should consider updating your backup server to version 11a and then to version 12.1.
https://www.veeam.com/kb2053

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
fret
Novice

Post by fret »

Can you provide me with the link for version 11a and, if available, the update procedure link as well? Thanks for the quick response.
Best Regards
Sasa
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Sasa

Download Links and upgrade procedure for the supported upgrade path is linked in the KB I have shared with you.
Only the link for upgrading to 11a is missing, you can find the procedure here:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/archive/ba ... e_vbr.html

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
fret
Novice

Post by fret »

Hello Fabian