Standalone backup agent for Microsoft Windows servers and workstations (formerly Veeam Endpoint Backup FREE)
fnu
Lurker
Liked: never

Veeam recovery can't connect to Wi-Fi using wpa2/wpa3

Post by fnu »

Hi there,

I use Veeam B&R Community Edition and stumbled over an issue several times doing a system recovery.

Albeit I maintain proper Wi-Fi drivers inside the recovery media, I cannot connect to my Wi-Fi SID using wpa2/wpa3 security.

I suspect the underlying WinPE environment is just "wpa" capable ... ?

Regards
fnu
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: Veeam recovery can't connect to Wi-Fi using wpa2/wpa3

Post by Gostev »

Hello! This is not a known limitation. If this was true, I would expect this to be reported by other users many times in the past 8 years? Also, please note that the recovery environment is based on the same exact modules as the Windows OS it was built from, so it should not behave any differently as it comes to the Wi-Fi connectivity. Thanks!
fnu
Lurker

Post by fnu »

Hello, thanks for the feedback.

But I need to admit there's a limitation, or something else fishy, I booted VEEAM recovery again, just to test that, it was not possible to connect to WPA2 and/or WPA3 secured Wi-Fi network. I can see the failed logon tries in my network logs. Exact same machine running on Windows 11 does connect then flawless with 2,4/5GHz and WPA3.
TacticallyInept
Lurker

Post by TacticallyInept »

Gostev wrote: Apr 08, 2023 9:36 pm Hello! This is not a known limitation. If this was true, I would expect this to be reported by other users many times in the past 8 years? Also, please note that the recovery environment is based on the same exact modules as the Windows OS it was built from, so it should not behave any differently as it comes to the Wi-Fi connectivity. Thanks!
Well I'll go ahead and report it too.

Booted my veeamre iso, went to connect to wifi as I didn't feel like going downstairs.. couldn't connect. Found this thread, turned off WPA3, instantly connected.

Fwiw, your response is all too similar to a response I got today while supporting an enterprise customer running Veeam.

Issue moving a job using the utility, support gave a lazy reason (permissions) but spent less than 5 minutes collecting logs from the customer and that's all the diagnosis that was done. Mover utility moved 30+ TB of VIBs and got stuck on one 4TB vib out of 10.

I find it hard to believe that fnu has the same laptop, wifi setup, etc that I do and happens to have the exact same user environment issue.