Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
NikDave
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Dave Moreton

DMZ server backup

Post by NikDave »

Hi Guys,

I have a strange problem going on with a web server in the DMZ, all the servers are virtual.

I done an in place upgrade last week from server 2012 to 2022 and now the backup fails with:

Failed to inventory guest system: Veeam Guest Agent is not started
Failed to prepare guest for hot backup. Error: Failed to connect to guest agent. Errors: 'Cannot connect to the admin share. Host: [SERVER]. Account: [ADMIN]. Win32 error:The network path was not found. Code: 53 Cannot connect to the admin share. Host: [IP ADDRESS]. Account: [ADMIN]. Win32 error:The network path was not found. Code: 53 '

The server lives in a vSphere folder with many servers, where it grabs all defaults but I change the username and password for this server because its in the DMZ.

Whats odd though is if I create a new job just to backup that server, it works fine!

Do I need to add permissions into vSphere? The virtual machine was newly created.

Thanks for your help
Dave
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: DMZ server backup

Post by Mildur »

Hello Dave

You can use the credentials button in your backup job to specificy dedicated credentials for the DMZ VM:

If the provided user is not the built in "administrator" account, you probably need to disable Remote UAC on the target machine. That's a limitation from Microsoft.

Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
DWORD: LocalAccountTokenFilterPolicy
Value: 1

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
NikDave
Novice

Post by NikDave »

Hi Fabian,

Thanks for the into :)

Yeah I changed the individual machine credentials already but did try UAC and a restart and that didn't seem to make much difference.

I think I've found whats happening, but not sure how to fix it lol

I seem to have 2 DMZ servers when I test the credentials, one fails almost instantly and can't find it in VC, I think thats the one i'm putting the credentials in for.

The other one I think is failing because its using the default credentials, which wont work.

Thanks
Dave
NikDave
Novice

Post by NikDave »

I think I might have it, have just worked out how to remove the old one!

Just testing now
NikDave
Novice

Post by NikDave »

Yeah, its all ok now.

It was still seeing the old VM, removed that one and added the new VM from the folder and its happy :)

Thanks
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Dave

I'm glad it's solved :)
Thank you for sharing the solution with us.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software