Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

What is the FQDN of VMs in a virtual lab?

Post by zoltank »

Could someone please tell me the FQDN of systems in a virtual lab, or how to find it?
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Re: What is the FQDN of VMs in a virtual lab?

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Since these VMs are exact copies of your production VMs, they have the same FQDNs. Could you please clarify what you're trying to do?
zoltank
Expert
Liked: 41 times

Post by zoltank »

The Veeam backup server is able to access the VMs by IP or FQDN from outside the virtual lab. I know the IPs I need to use to access the VMs from the Veeam backup server, however I don't know what FQDN to use to access them from the Veeam server. If I try to use the standard FQDN on the Veeam server, then it just go to the production VM and not the one in the virtual lab.

I need it specifically because I'm using "Get-MailboxDatabaseCopyStatus" in one of my SureBackup verification scripts, and that cmdlet needs the server designated by the FQDN and not the IP.
Vitaliy S.
VP, Product Management
Liked: 2710 times
Full Name: Vitaliy Safarov

Post by Vitaliy S. »

Oh...got it!

Well as I've already said the FQDN is the same, so in order to access these VMs via hostname, you should adjust DNS settings on your backup server, the easiest way to do that would be to edit etc\hosts file to route all the traffic to virtual lab VMs.

Hope this helps!