Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Backup is outdated and will be deleted Unable to perform this operation while the job is running

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

my Veeam Version is 12.0.0.1420 P20230718

I have a Job for a Bunch of SQL Servers. The Job starts in the evening and is configured to collect transactionlogs every hour. This job works very well and appears as permanently running in veeam overview window.
Recently i removed two VMs from this job, because they were removed from datacenter.
Since two days i get mails in the evening that my job has failed. But thats not really true. every remaining VM was backuped successfully, but veeam has a problem to remove outdated backups while running this job:

Backup xyz is outdated and will be deleted Unable to perform this operation while the job is running

How should i handle this? The Job appears as permanently running and i dont want to stop it. When stopping it, i would need a trigger which runs the process of deletion of outdated backups immedeately, so i could restart my job within minutes.
What do you think should i do? How to get rid of these messages?

Thanks,
Hans
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Backup is outdated and will be deleted Unable to perform this operation while the job is running

Post by Mildur »

Hi Hans

I checked similar cases and it seems to be a current limitation when you have transaction log backup configured.
A workaround in the other support cases was to manually delete the backups from the deleted machine from the disk node.

If you want to stop the backup job and launch our background retention task manually, you can do that from the backups node:
https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/backu ... ml?ver=120

Please let me know if that has worked for you.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
HansMeiser
Enthusiast

Re: Backup is outdated and will be deleted Unable to perform this operation while the job is running

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

thank you for the quick answer. I did not know that it is possible to start retention manually.
I will try your solution next week and will respond within this thread.

Thanks,
Hans
HansMeiser
Enthusiast

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

manually started retention is finished successfully. White viewing existent backups i can not really see a difference. i wonder if i will get a new errormessage next night or if process really was successful.

Thanks,
hans
HansMeiser
Enthusiast

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

as expected i got new errormessages last night. i had to stop my sql job and delete machine from backup manually. whatever the job was complaining about, it could not be handled by standard retention job.
i wonder how this is expected to work by veeam developers. Maybe something new issue with version 12, we already removed machines from sql backup earlier times and i cant remember to have had this problems before.

Thanks,
Hans
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur »

Hi Hans

I apologize for the late answer.
In the meantime I was made aware that we have a known issue regarding running log transaction backups and our deletion process.
For 12.0.0.1420 there should be a hotfix ready which you can get by a support case. Or you can update to our latest version v12.1.1.56 in which the issue is marked as "fixed" in our system.

https://www.veeam.com/kb4510

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software