Host-based backup of Microsoft Hyper-V VMs.
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Hyper-V licensing question?

Post by danswartz »

So for several years, I was running vsphere on a 3-node, 4-socket system, and had a license for that. I switched to proxmox for a couple of years, didn't care for it, and am trying out Hyper-V. My problem: with vsphere, you connect to the VCSA, so it didn't seem to matter which host a vm was running on (or maybe it did and I don't remember?). Anyway, I spun up a ws2019 host, installed veeam 12.1 on it, and discovered that even tell the backup job to use a named cluster, the instances that are consumed are tagged with the host, so if a vm is migrated to another host, the 10 instance limit is violated and that vm isn't backed up. Is that how it should work? It's the same vm, just on another host. What is particularly frustrating is that I already have a 4-socket license, but cannot use it due to 12.1 being newer than the license (or whatever the message was.). So it sounds as if I have two choices:

1. never have more than 5 vms to back up on my 2-node hyper-v cluster.
or
2. buy twice as many VUL licenses as the number of vms I want to back up.

Is this how it's supposed to work?

P.S. I would love to open a case for this but the veeam portal is refusing to and telling me to contact sales to renew. I've gotta say, this is not the way to get renewals...
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Re: Hyper-V licensing question?

Post by karsten123 »

you need to add the cluster to the Veeam inventory.
And, of course, you need to add your VMs as cluster resources.
Got it?
danswartz
Veteran
Liked: 30 times
Full Name: Dan Swartzendruber

Post by danswartz »

My silly error. I had added the cluster to veeam but had forgotten to add the vm to the cluster. Thanks...
karsten123
Service Provider
Liked: 82 times
Full Name: Karsten Meja

Post by karsten123 »

no problem