Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
importantchicken562
Influencer
Liked: 2 times
Full Name: Mark Vigil

Question regarding Organization Deployment type

Post by importantchicken562 »

Hi,

I am currently redeploying Veeam 365 due to some technical mistakes I made a while back during the first deployment.

Our environment looks something like this:

1. On-Prem Exchange 2016 server which we use to create AD/Exchange accounts

2. All mail accounts stored in O365

So it looks like we are a hybrid type of organization. We are currently backing up our on-prem 2016 server with Veeam BR. We also use Teams, and plan on using OneDrive and Sharepoint in the future.

I am setting up the Organization in V365 now and noticed two deployment types: Microsoft 365 and Hybrid. Couple of questions:

1-Microsoft 365 option has Exchange Online only while Hybrid has Exchange Online and Microsoft Exchange server. If I select Hybrid and select Microsoft Exchange Server along with Exchange Online, will this essentially backup the 2016 server? Will I have two backups of it?

2-I want to have separate jobs for mail, teams, sharepoint and onedrive. What would I need to do to set it up in this way? My guess is if I check off the boxes in the Hybrid options for teams and sharepoint/onedrive(during the organization setup), it will start backing them up which I don't want to do at this time. Would I need to create seperate organizations(even though we only have one) and only check off the services I want backed up?

Thanks!
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Re: Question regarding Organization Deployment type

Post by chris.childerhose »

You will install the Organization as a Hybrid to capture online and on-premise data. The way it backs up will be dependent on how you set up the jobs, which you can find here - https://helpcenter.veeam.com/docs/vbo36 ... tml?ver=70
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Question regarding Organization Deployment type

Post by Mildur »

Hi Mark

You use Exchange 2016 only for management. There is no data to backup from it.
Therefore you don't have to choose deployment type hybrid is not required. You can choose Microsoft 365 as the deployment type. Less to configure and maintain for your backup admins. :)
1-Microsoft 365 option has Exchange Online only while Hybrid has Exchange Online and Microsoft Exchange server. If I select Hybrid and select Microsoft Exchange Server along with Exchange Online, will this essentially backup the 2016 server? Will I have two backups of it?
Hybrid would allow you to backup Exchange 2016 Mailboxes. Which I believe you don't have (everything is in M365). Protecting the Exchange servers operating system and application configurations does still require Veeam Backup & Replication or Veeam Agent.
2-I want to have separate jobs for mail, teams, sharepoint and onedrive. What would I need to do to set it up in this way? My guess is if I check off the boxes in the Hybrid options for teams and sharepoint/onedrive(during the organization setup), it will start backing them up which I don't want to do at this time. Would I need to create seperate organizations(even though we only have one) and only check off the services I want backed up?
You can register your M365 tenant only once in Veeam Backup for Microsoft 365. But you can create different jobs protecting different source services.

Do you also plan to use different repositories? Different repositories allow you to have different retention settings for each service. Maybe you don't want to keep mail backups for the same time period as your SharePoint backups. In that case, different repositories will be required. If you use different repositories, I recommend to use the same repository for your Teams and SharePoint backup job. They nearly protect the same source data. Source data will only be downloaded and stored once when pointing both backup jobs to the same repository.

Let me know if you have additional questions.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software