Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
tanjum
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: touqeeranjum

Installing updates with installation..

Post by tanjum »

Hi,

Tried finding the answer but could not, but as a general understanding (at least in Windows OS) if I place Veeam updates into an Updates folder placed in the root will they be installed during installation ?

Thank You
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Installing updates with installation..

Post by Mildur »

Hello Touqeeranjum

For new deployments or upgrades from previous versions (v10a, v11, v11a or v12), please download the latest ISO which is prepared with the most recent update exe.
https://www.veeam.com/kb4510

The update folder doesn't exist anymore on V12.1 ISOs.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
tanjum
Novice

Post by tanjum »

Thanks Mildur,

I meant update from 12.1.0.2131 to 12.1.1.56, can the executable update file be downloaded and added to existing ISO for future installations on new servers.

This is to automate the process instead of downloading a new whole ISO every time.
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

This was indeed the old approach of how we did this back when we used Cumulative Patches, which as you remember did not change the build number and instead just added PYYYYMMDD at the end of it. Which most customers hated...

But this no longer applies to the new, more classic way of shipping product updates we use starting from 12.1, where every update comes with a new build number.

Thus I don't know if the functionality to auto-install updates is still there in the new ISO and how will it work if you attempt to use it with the new-style updates. This is certainly something completely untested.

In any case, even if it works, I would highly discourage using some random old ISO version as a base ISO even just because it will have outdated/vulnerable redistributables of ours and/or 3rd party components, known bugs in the upgrade script and so on (see the ISO Release History to get an idea of what I'm talking about).
tanjum
Novice

Post by tanjum »

Thanks @Gostev,

Its clearer now..