Discussions related to using object storage as a backup target.
cgroom
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Groom

Single Storage Account Multiple Containers Multiple VBRs

Post by cgroom »

Hi all.

After researching this, i am still confused, and not sure if its possible, or even if it makes sense to do it..

I have 3 VBR's

I have a Single Azure Storage account that i would like to "share" between all 3 VBR's.. Now i know that you cant/shouldn't have more than one VBR writing to a single storage account.. BUT.. does this mean to a single Container within the Storage Account ie writing to 3 different folders within the single container

or... Can i have 3 different containers each with a single folder in it, and have each VBR writing to a separate containers folder?

Note.. i would make each of these immutable, and use them to store the configuration backups of each separate server only.

I am leaning towards you can do it this way, but like i said, confused, and not sure even if i should do it this way..

Anyone able to provide clarity?

Thanks

Chris
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Single Storage Account Multiple Containers Multiple VBRs

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

Hello Chris
Now i know that you cant/shouldn't have more than one VBR writing to a single storage account.. BUT.. does this mean to a single Container within the Storage Account ie writing to 3 different folders within the single container
The same <folder> can not be shared by multiple backup server. Only one backup server can add this <folder> and write backups.

Normally I would go with 3 different storage accounts if Azure Blob is a target for backup or backup copy jobs. Different storage accounts provide you better security and billing capabilities. But in case of only storing encrypted configuration backups, a single storage account with different containers is easier too manage. Even a single storage container with a dedicated folder for each backup server will work. You cannot design it wrong with "just configuration backups".

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
cgroom
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Chris Groom

Re: Single Storage Account Multiple Containers Multiple VBRs

Post by cgroom »

Thankyou for taking the time to reply Fabian.

I will configure as you suggest with a single storage account with multiple containers.

Cheers

Chris