Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
qdc-ginkgo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Quentin DA COSTA

12.1 Timeshift repository detection

Post by qdc-ginkgo »

Hi

After making the last veeam update that introduced timeshift repository protection. I have a question on this article https://www.veeam.com/kb4482. I can't seem to successfully configure the config file.

For context, my backups run every 24 hours from wednesday to saturday and my repository is powered on before each backups and shutdown right after.
During the week the maxDeltaValueInSec does not exceed the default value of 86400. But during the week end it does.

As recommended in the KB article, I created the file /etc/veeam/immureposvc/config (with 600 privileges and root owner). I tried to change the value of maxDeltaValueInSec to match the timespan between saturday to wednesday. Even with that value I still got the timeshift error.

My config file :
<TimeDefenderConfig disableCheck="0" checkHwTime="1" maxDeltaValueInSec="345600" />

If someone can please let me know if I did it correctly or not. Or if the variable can't exceed a certain number.

Thanks

Quentin
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Re: 12.1 Timeshift repository detection

Post by Gostev »

Hi, Quentin. This functionality is designed for backup repositories that are available close to 24/7 and it simply does not support repeating extended downtimes. The KB does not explain all of its design nuances but there's basically no meaningful way for you to configure this functionality for your special scenario. Because either it will trigger periodically, requiring you to reset protection, or you will have to use very high values and then it will not protect you against an actual cyberattack. So I recommend you turn it off completely. Thanks
qdc-ginkgo
Lurker
Liked: never
Full Name: Quentin DA COSTA

Re: 12.1 Timeshift repository detection

Post by qdc-ginkgo »

Hi Gostev,

I understand, I will turn it off then.

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer.