Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

NDMP to tape - differences on calculated datasize between Summary and Details

Post by HansMeiser »

Veeam 12.0.0.1420 P20230718

Hello,

i have some Jobs which copy NDMP Data from fileservers to tape. This is basically successful.
I noticed a partially big difference on calculated data between statistics summary and job details.
For example i have a NDMP job which copies about ~16T. When viewing job statistic i have in top lane the DATA column and it tells that 57,7T are processed, read and transferred. 57,7T is a high number and i cant comprehend how this huge datadifference is calculated.
when viewing in statistics the jobdetails it tells: "28.01.2024 17:00:22 :: Total backup job size: 3 files and 3 folders (15,2 TB) " which seems to be closer to the truth.
I uploaded an image for better understanding: https://ibb.co/B4ctrBr
So can someone explain that big difference? I think it started with Veeam 12 but not sure.

And before i forget, this is clearly a display bug: We have a NetApp and use ONTAP Snapmirror. In this job on "Virtual Machines" tab you can edit "Exclusions..." In this Exclusionswindow the sorting of listed VMs is not working. You can click into top lane on "Name", but nothing happens. The arrow switches up and down but list ist still unordered.

Thanks,
Hans
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: NDMP to tape - differences on calculated datasize between Summary and Details

Post by Dima P. »

Hello Hans,

Thank you for the feedback! I assume the size if close to the full backup while state of the log line indicates the incremental size, sounds right? Mind me asking why you have not upgraded to the latest v12.1?
HansMeiser
Enthusiast
Liked: never

Re: NDMP to tape - differences on calculated datasize between Summary and Details

Post by HansMeiser »

Hello,

i dont think so. The 15,2 T which is mentioned in details is the full size of the volume which should correspond to the size of a full backup. On incementell backup the details still show 15,2T, but summary shows 91,2G
When checking files and fill level on written tapes on fullbackup this corresponds to amount of 15T which seems to be reasonable.
This 57,7TB seems way to much, i remember in former Veeam Versions this number was not that high. I cant explain this number.

we upgrade Veeam not by ourself but with a service contractor, i think we get the updates within the next weeks.

Thanks,
Hans
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. »

Thank you for the details Hans, I'll ask QA team to review the issue! Let us know how the upgrade goes!