Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
EskBackupGuy23
Influencer
Liked: never
Full Name: Crypto Ron

Restore for SQL DB Failed to read block from C: Case #07040169

Post by EskBackupGuy23 »

Hello -

Have an open case with Veeam regarding this issue: Case: #07040169

I have the following setup:

1x Veeam Backup and Replication Server (VM)
1x Veeam ONE Server (VM)
1x Veeam Enterprise Manager Server (VM)
4x Veeam Windows repositories with ReFS volumes (PHYSICAL)

The situation:

I have an SQL server that is backed up regularly. There are multiple instances. 1 of these instances contains a database that I need to restore for validation/testing. Anytime I try to restore this database by simply right clicking the backup and selecting 'Restore Application items\Microsoft SQL Server'
I am able to select the database and restore point I would like to restore. The restore kicks off and about 6-7 hours later, the restore fails with the following error:

"Failed to restore item (DATABASENAME) Source: server\DBInstance, Target: server\DBInstance. Database restore failed. Failed to read block from file C:\VeeamFLR\sourceserver\path-to-dbFile. The restore failed due to a fatal device hardware error."

The error is strange. The database is not even on a C: volume and the NFS mount on the target server is on E: not C:. This is a tough one.

Originally the mount server was on the repository in which the database server was backed up to. I changed the Mount server to the target server that I am trying to restore this database to. It worked 1 time, but is continuously failing. I have sent logs in and I am not getting anywhere with this. I'm hoping there is a Veeam guru out there that may be able to help!

Thank you in advance for your assistance!
DanielJ
Service Provider
Liked: 32 times
Full Name: Daniel Johansson

Re: Restore for SQL DB Failed to read block from C: Case #07040169

Post by DanielJ »

The database is read through the mount point in C:\VeeamFLR, so that's why you see C: in the error message. What if you just start the restore wizard, then manually enter C:\VeeamFLR, find the database and copy it yourself to the target server? You will then just have to attach the database and bring it online.