Discussions related to exporting backups to tape and backing up directly to tape.
ThierryF
Expert
Liked: 33 times

VBR 12.1.1.56 : Tape-job : Job progress still in "Calculating....' and other issues

Post by ThierryF »

Hello,

I just completed VBR 11 -> 12.1.1.56 upgrade and launched afew tests post upgrade.

I just noticed, when opening running Tape job details, that global job progress to stay
in "Calculating ..." state, in way of displaying progress (xxx of yyy objects).

In the details bottom left sub-pane, different objets to be processed also stay in "Pending"
or "Calculating" state in way of displaying progres pourcentage...

For what I deduced, the "Calculating" job's state is the one being processed for tape copy operations.
This prevents to monitor what job is doing ...

Side effect or [display/update] bug ?
Advise if I need to open support ticket for the issue.

Thanks

Th
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Re: VBR 12.1.1.56 : Tape-job : Job progress still in "Calculating....'

Post by Dima P. »

Hello ThierryF,

Thank you for sharing your update experience. Investigating this issue with RnD folks, stay tuned!
ThierryF
Expert

Post by ThierryF »

Hello,
Drop me a line if you want me to open a case or if you need logs from our env.
Hope that helps. Wishing you a great day,

Th
ThierryF
Expert

VBR 12.1.1.56 : File-Backup failure while Tape-Copy job running ?

Post by ThierryF »

Hello,

After upgrade from 11 to 12.1.1.56, my file file-backup job (backp of a CIFS Share) fails when tape-copy job is running with following error ...

Failed to perform backup metadata update Error: Item [Data from 01/22/24 11:00:46 AM restore point] is locked by running session "INFRA - Backup to LTO7 Tape Job" [Backup to Tape]
Error: Item [Data from 01/22/24 11:00:46 AM restore point] is locked by running session INFRA - Backup to LTO7 Tape Job [Backup to Tape]
Processing finished with errors at 31-01-24 11:52:22

Ticket-time ? :-D

Th
Dima P.
Product Manager
Liked: 1576 times
Full Name: Dmitry Popov

Post by Dima P. » 1 person likes this post

Hi ThierryF,

Confirmed with QA folks that this seems to be a new issue, so please raise a support case and share the case id with me! Thank you!
ThierryF
Expert

VBR 12.1.1.56 : Tape-copy abort with error "Task failed. Error: Cannot find nas backup generations older than 0"

Post by ThierryF »

Hello,
Since my 11-> 12.1.1.56 upgrade, my Tape Copy job abort with the following error

Task failed. Error: Cannot find nas backup generations older than 0
Processing finished with errors at 31-01-24 14:19:34

Any advise ?

Ticket #3 ? :-D

Th
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VBR 12.1.1.56 : Tape-copy abort with error "Task failed. Error: Cannot find nas backup generations older than 0"

Post by Mildur »

Hi Thierry

Yes, a ticket would help and should always be the first step for any technical issues :)
I'm sure the logs will tell us more. And if it's a known issue, logs can confirm it and we can even provide you with a hotfix if we have one ready.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: VBR 12.1.1.56 : File-Backup failure while Tape-Copy job running ?

Post by Mildur »

Yes, please provide a case number.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
ThierryF
Expert

Re: VBR 12.1.1.56 : File-Backup failure while Tape-Copy job running ?

Post by ThierryF »

Case #07113534 — VBR 12.1.1.56 : File-Backup failure while Tape-Copy job running ?
ThierryF
Expert

Re: VBR 12.1.1.56 : Tape-job : Job progress still in "Calculating....' and other issues

Post by ThierryF »

Case #07113553 — VBR 12.1.1.56 : Tape-job : Job progress still in "Calculating....'
ThierryF
Expert

Re: VBR 12.1.1.56 : Tape-job : Job progress still in "Calculating....' and other issues

Post by ThierryF »

and Case #07113545 — VBR 12.1.1.56 : Tape-copy abort with error "Task failed. Error: Cannot find nas backup generations older than 0"
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev » 1 person likes this post

I've merged all separate topics from you from today together.

I would like to remind that this is not a support forum for environment-specific issues. Please respect the forum rules displayed when you click New Topic for your future contributions to this community. In particular, please do not create topics before our support engineers had a chance to investigate them and confirm whether it's an environmental problem (which is vast majority of cases), or a bug in the product. Then, if there's a real need to discuss it further with R&D (as normally you would be provided a hotfix), you're more than welcome to create a discussion here.

I would really appreciate your understanding with this matter. The sheer size of our customer base results in our "normal" support load being over 1000 support cases per day. You alone have created 3 separate new topics within just a couple of hours. Just imagine what this community would turn into if everyone else does the same thing you did today.
ThierryF
Expert

Post by ThierryF » 1 person likes this post

Hello,

I agree with your point of view but under certain conditions this R&D forum is more useful than support, which is why.

Why 3 cases, just because 3 different problems. Having provided software and hardware support over the phone and onsite on a high-end Digital-Compaq-HP enterprise server for over 10 years, customer-side support experiences are sometimes more than painful, such as the response from Veeam support asking to split the main task into smaller tasks and avoid concurrent executions. Seriously, how to achieve this in prod env?

Our installation had been working well for months, validated by the dedicated Veeam Customer Support Contact team, with an incredible 100% success rate. So, my 3 posts were not meant to criticize Veeam products, certainly not, but just to share my experience with R&D, with other customers and to get help faster than via support.

Th
Gostev
Chief Product Officer
Liked: 6725 times

Post by Gostev »

It's almost the opposite :) one if the main goals of this forum is to provide a place for customers and partners to criticize our products, in front of people who can actually do something about such feedback!

So you're definitely more welcome to criticize known/confirmed limitations and bugs. This is encouraged, not discouraged.

We only ask not to bring environment-specific support issues here, before they are actually confirmed by Support to be product bugs/limitations. Because there are 1000+ support cases opened daily and vast majority of them are caused by environment-specific problems. While the PM team behind this forum can barely keep up with the amount of "valid" content alone posted here these days ;)
ThierryF
Expert

Post by ThierryF » 3 people like this post

FYI,

Case # 07113534 and # 07113545 were fixed by SQL-fix (Fix_634534) to import in SQLDB. Being monitored for afew days.
Case # 07113553 resolved by it-self after 2 days. Keeping an eye on it.

Th
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

Post by dasfliege »

Just experienced some issues probably related to tape backup this weekend with version 12.1.0.2131.
Backupserver was completely stuck. All primary jobs were hanging at 0%, so were copys and SOBR offloads. One tape job was waiting for tape because it was unable to allocate an expired tape. When i manually moved an expired tape to the free pool, the operation was taking forever. After rebooting all the components, i again tried to move a tape to the free pool. That took 43min to complete!
Are there any knows issues with tape management in particular, which could cause this behavior? Just want to know if there is a general problem or if it's maybe just related to our infrastrucuture.
sveloso
Novice
Liked: 1 time
Full Name: Fino

Post by sveloso »

>>Are there any knows issues with tape management in particular, which could cause this behavior? Just want to know if there is a general problem or if it's maybe just related to our infrastrucuture.

Hi Folks
I'am sure there are issues. My case# 07096403.
We are not able to backup nas files to tape, when Veeam wants to use expired tapes.
Tried to mark expired tape as free and/or tried to delete tape by hand - same issue - it runs forever and after a long time error comes up
Trick is to mark the expired tapes as protected - veeam catches an unused tape (if you have) and backup to tape works
BTW - setting registry hack "SqlStatementTimeout" to higher than 10000 does not help.

Our Postgresql database is like 250GB large atm.
dasfliege
Service Provider
Liked: 53 times
Full Name: Florin

Post by dasfliege »

All our tapejobs failed again. There definately seems to be an issue with 12.1 and tapes
I've opened a case as well: #07124057