Maintain control of your Microsoft 365 data
bg.ranken
Expert
Liked: 21 times
Full Name: Randall Kender

Best Practice for Azure Object Storage and Archiving?

Post by bg.ranken »

I'm in the process of finalizing our VBO365 configuration and am trying to find information on how we should set up or separate things within our target (all within Azure). Our goal is to have 30 days of short term retention in a "Hot" format and 7 years in an "Archive" format.

Currently we have one storage account, and we are planning on creating two items under Backup Infrastructure > Object Storage, one for Hot and one for Archive, that each would point to their respective container within the Azure storage account. Then we are planning on creating 6 items under Backup Infrastructure > Backup Repositories > Object storage, two for each of our 3 jobs. Each job will have a repository for "Hot" that points to the hot object storage container, and a repository for "Archive" that points to the archive object storage container. Then we are planning on having a backup copy job that copies data from the hot to the archive for each of the short term jobs.

My question is in regards to data moving and archiving itself. Should I increase the amount of containers, or do only one container per job? It looks like I can create more folders under a container, should I just go that route and put everything in folders instead of separate containers? Or should I expand on things and instead send archive data to a second storage account rather than keeping it in the same one.

I've looked around at the current best practices https://bp.veeam.com/vb365/guide/design ... ml#general and I think I'm ok with the job design (three jobs, one for sharepoint/teams, one for onedrive, and one for mail) with backup copies to archive repositories. However it never actually mentions how to separate out the data in a way that you can perhaps get better reporting, or where not to separate it in a way that might incur a lot of additional costs.
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Best Practice for Azure Object Storage and Archiving?

Post by Mildur »

Hi Randall
However it never actually mentions how to separate out the data in a way that you can perhaps get better reporting, or where not to separate it in a way that might incur a lot of additional costs.
It's mentioned, just not in the chapter about job design.

We recommend different buckets/containers.
A dedicated second Azure tenant for the archive where the backup admins not have global administrator access could help to protect your backups against ransomware attacks. And in case you have immutable backup copies and you want to delete data before the 7 years are over, you can just stop paying the dedicated Tenant and Microsoft will delete it even if there are immutable backups on it.
Copying backups to a second Azure Tenant may come with additional costs on Microsoft side. Best to consult Microsoft price list to check if they ask for a fee when transferring data between both tenants in the same or between regions. Between regions will lead to costs for sure.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software