Host-based backup of VMware vSphere VMs.
rezafathi
Novice
Liked: never
Full Name: Reza fathi

Second veeam server

Post by rezafathi »

Hello

We have 1 G10 server (Esxi8) and 2 G6 servers (esxi 6). On a virtual machine, the veeam backup and replication server is installed. We have a Qnap that has an Iscsi Lun created on it, which is mounted as a datastore on the 3 servers above. Every day, the veeam server backs up all the virtual machines as vm replication and copies the vm files to Qnap and the replications to the G10 server. I want to set up another veeam server in a building far from the server room that syncs with the main veeam server. Considering that the backups are now on Qnap, how can I run this scenario?
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2294 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Re: Second veeam server

Post by Mildur »

Hi Reza

Veeam doesn't provide an option to "sync configuration between two backups server". We have a configuration backup & restore option. Or you can use Veeam Replica jobs to sync the entire backup server (if it's a VM) to a secondary location.

In my understanding you have a backup server as a VM and the backups are in a virtual disk on the ESXi datastore as well?
Can you share the goal of "that syncs with the main Veeam server"?
- Disaster Recovery purpose?
- Testing restores?
- Redundancy?
- High availability?

Some challenges I see in your concept:
- backup data on a virtual disk in the vSphere datastore: In case you loose your ESXI hosts, backups can not be accessed until you install a new ESXi host, create a new VM and mount the virtual disks. Valuable time lost for the recovery. Also an attacker can just delete your backup server VM and all your backups are lost.
- No second backup copy: We recommend our customer the 3-2-1 rule (or 3-2-1-1-0). Which means, you should have 3 copies (1 production, 2x backups) of your data, 2 different medias and 1 backup offsite. I suggest you install a second backup repository in your second building for the second backup copy. Preferably a Hardened Repository which allows you to have immutable backups.

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software
rezafathi
Novice

Post by rezafathi »

Hello
Thank you. I want it for dissaster recovery. I tried to create backup copy job from veeam but in jobs section I can not see none of my vm replication jobs. Why is that?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello Reza

A backup copy job copies backups, not replicas.
You must first create a backup job.
I want it for disaster recovery.
I recommend to have the backup server in your disaster recovery side and let it manage your replication and backup tasks in the primary site. If your primary site has an issue, backup server in the disaster recovery site can start managing restores and replica failover (if you replicate to the disaster recovery site as well).

You can also just do a configuration restore to a standby backup server if your primary site has failed. But you still have to make sure that you have the backups (and/or replicas) in your disaster recovery side.

Best,
Fabian
rezafathi
Novice

Post by rezafathi »

Thanks. If i create backup jobs for all my vms, it will slow down the network because I already have 20 vm replication jobs running everyday from 6 pm until 6 am tomorrow. How can i create vm backup jobs then?
Mildur
Product Manager

Post by Mildur »

Hello Reza

A backup job is a requirement for a copy job. You cannot copy "replicas".
I don't know your environment and your backup/replication business requirements.

If you feel the replica jobs are taking too long (12 hours over night seems long to me) and affecting your production network too much, then you should investigate the bottleneck with our customer support. It also make sense to deploy a Veeam WAN Accelerator if you replicate to a disaster recovery site. It will help to reduce the transferred data over a WAN connection.

Best,
Fabian