Comprehensive data protection for all workloads
RobertMu
Lurker
Liked: never

Upgrade v12.0 -> v12.1

Post by RobertMu »

Hello,

just wanted to upgrade my installation to 12.1 using latest version, and I'm having problems setting up the database. It's a local PostgreSQL installation and on a step where I'm supposed to setup database connection I select "Windows Authentication Credentials of the backup service account", which is what's configured according to pg_ident.conf. And after clicking "next" it throws me an error SSPI authentication failed for user "domain\<my current user>". I'm scratching my head here - wasn't it supposed to use NT AUTHORITY\System account for connecting and not my user account? What am I missing here? Thanks in advance for any info on this.
Egor Yakovlev
Veeam Software
Liked: 683 times
Full Name: Egor Yakovlev

Re: Upgrade v12.0 -> v12.1

Post by Egor Yakovlev »

Hi Robert,
was that PG SQL instance installed by previous VBR installation or was it manually installed?
- check the currently used service account of Veeam Backup Service
- try logging that account to PG Admin UI
Arcanis
Lurker
Liked: 3 times

Post by Arcanis » 3 people like this post

I had the exact same issue and opened a support ticket they sent me the following KB: https://www.veeam.com/kb1471
The instructions for troubleshooting that error on PSQL fixed it for me. The end result was it only has the user who initially did the install as enabled to log in. Adding the upgrading user account allows it to run.
RobertMu
Lurker
Liked: never

Post by RobertMu »

Yup, that did it. Thank you very much!
robnicholsonmalt
Expert
Liked: 12 times
Full Name: Rob Nicholson

Post by robnicholsonmalt » 1 person likes this post

Worked for me too. Veeam had been installed using the local administrator account and I was trying to upgrade via a domain admin account. Quick fix is to edit "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\15\data\pg_ident.conf" and add veeam username@domain postgres where username is the account you're using and domain is the NETBIOS domain, e.g. veeam it.support@BBC postgres where BBC is the NETBIOS domain. The existing entry had the domain in uppercase - not sure if that's critical.
mlumsden76
Service Provider
Liked: 9 times
Full Name: Michael Lumsden

Post by mlumsden76 »

Quick fix is to edit "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\15\data\pg_ident.conf" and add veeam username@domain postgres where username is the account you're using
What you said fixed it. I had installed VBR it with the administrator account when the server was new. But since have created a dedicated admin account. updating the "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\15\data\pg_ident.conf" file to use the new admin account allowed me to complete the installation.
chris.childerhose
Veeam Vanguard
Liked: 132 times
Full Name: Chris Childerhose

Post by chris.childerhose »

This one fixed things for me as well with the upgrade to 12.1. Great post to bookmark and the KB.
-----------------------
Chris Childerhose
Veeam Vanguard / Veeam Legend / Veeam Ceritified Architect / VMCE
vExpert / VCAP-DCA / VCP8 / MCITP
Personal blog: https://just-virtualization.tech
Twitter: @cchilderhose
Mildur
Product Manager
Liked: 2296 times
Full Name: Fabian K.

Post by Mildur » 1 person likes this post

The kb was updated. We have now a dedicated kb for this particular issue: https://www.veeam.com/kb4542

Best,
Fabian
Product Management Analyst @ Veeam Software